Baltimore Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD9O

I don't have a spare digital trunked radio, but I'd be happy to put a feed up with the VHF conventionals if the RR administration would be interested.

Tony

AD9O

There is now a Baltimore City feed with the VHF simulcasts of A1 Main, A2 Dispatch, C1 Fireground, and the VHF Emergency channel. It's being fed with an old PRO-75 I had laying around. Obviously, if I can find a reasonable deal on a P-25 capable radio I will be able to feed the 800 system.

Hope this helps.

Tony

800mhz

Does anyone know if BCFD is going to KEEP the VHF system for the near future. I think they use it as a back up incase the 800 fails right?

ocguard

Does anyone know if BCFD is going to KEEP the VHF system for the near future. I think they use it as a back up incase the 800 fails right?

Yes, as a matter of fact, the city recently received and used grant money to replace electronics for VHF F-1 which is the back-up channel, repeated citywide, and available in subway tunnels. Most apparatus carry fairly new Kenwood VHF portables for subway/back-up operations.

Also, VHF F-5 (patched with talk group A2-DISP) electronics may be replaced in the future.

Not sure about the other fireground talk group VHF patches. They work for now, but they may not replace them when the electronics age beyond use.

AD9O

*bump*

Wanted to let everyone know I obtained a BCD996XT for the feed. It is now operational feeding most fire channels.

Happy listening.

Tony

ocguard

Tony,

Thanks for the investment. As a suggestion, could you remove the conventional channels from the stream? It is very unlikely that anything pertinent is going to come in over the 8/V/U-Tacs. And while the scanner is sampling the conventional channels, good stuff can be missed on the TRS.

Also, to answer your question in another thread about the upgrade affecting MOSCAD, each station recently received a new enclosure box that houses the new MOSCAD radio, RTU, and relay controllers.

gregsto

*bump*

Wanted to let everyone know I obtained a BCD996XT for the feed. It is now operational feeding most fire channels.

Happy listening.

Tony

THANKS! I noticed that and was happy to be able to use your feed as another source for fireground traffic during our 5 alarm fire party!! I was saying great things about you, not even knowing who broadcasted the feed, so your ears may have been burning. When I walked the two blocks to the Charles St fire your feed on my Droid was all I needed.

Movie camera, still camera, scanner, and access to alertpage.net where i was covering the fire all on that thing....technology rocks....and so do u!

gregsto

*bump*

Happy listening.

Tony

Tony,

Noticing that your feed is consistently excellent in its reception, can you tell me what antenna you are using? I am having trouble getting my BCD996T to receive the Baltimore City 800mhz system without fading in and out. The best antenna I have tried so far is actually a 'stubby' rubber duck!

AD9O

All,

I'm glad you're finding it valuable. Was happy to finally be able to do it.

Matt, makes sense. I'll switch the system off. I do recall that, during the last big set of fires, 8-tac wouldn't patch and FComm was trying to use it, but you're right it's worth keeping off unless there's actually operational traffic on it. Thanks for the update on the station alerting too. I'll be listening so I can make the changeover once the city system switches to all 9600.

@gregsto i'm glad you were able to find it useful. I was conversing with one of the Sun reporters who ended up using it too. Glad people are getting a benefit from it being there. the antenna is just the stock telescoping whip. I'm over near the state office buildings on the 7th floor of the building and usually get great reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.