Baltimore PD "Refrain from Broadcast"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to ask any local listeners if they can help me understand when Baltimore PD Uses this or what its in reference to? Heard a dispatcher today "Citywide, All units refrain from broadcasting in the area of the 1300 block of smith ave". Is it typically like in regards to police activity or something going on that they dont want patrol units interfering in or a quick search also shows Bomb/suspicious package calls supposedly arent broadcasted over the radio either, is it in relation to something like that? Thanks in Advance!

Chris516

Just wanted to ask any local listeners if they can help me understand when Baltimore PD Uses this or what its in reference to? Heard a dispatcher today "Citywide, All units refrain from broadcasting in the area of the 1300 block of smith ave". Is it typically like in regards to police activity or something going on that they dont want patrol units interfering in or a quick search also shows Bomb/suspicious package calls supposedly arent broadcasted over the radio either, is it in relation to something like that? Thanks in Advance!
Sounds like it was in reference to an incident and, officers' approaching the location.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I never have heard it but my guess is surveillance might be conducted in the area by undercovers and they don't want uniform personnel around to hurt their surveillance.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

-Your comment about bomb/suspicious packages is the likely reason. Strong RF fields can trigger some detonators. Also, not knowing exactly what the trigger is can raise concerns. Our dispatchers will broadcast that when they are doing a bomb drill.

Gas leaks, explosive atmospheres, etc. can all be a problem with radios.

Probably other reasons, like active undercover type stuff.

But around here, it's almost always a bomb.

Septa3371CSX1

In Philly they'll broadcast "no radio or MDT transmissions in the area of..." during an incidence of a suspicious package or bomb threat. I'd imagine that's what it was for in this situation as well.

ecps92

But then they use the Cellphone / MDT / PDA / smart[boom]phone :)

-Your comment about bomb/suspicious packages is the likely reason. Strong RF fields can trigger some detonators. Also, not knowing exactly what the trigger is can raise concerns. Our dispatchers will broadcast that when they are doing a bomb drill.

Gas leaks, explosive atmospheres, etc. can all be a problem with radios.

Probably other reasons, like active undercover type stuff.

But around here, it's almost always a bomb.

MdListener

This might also be BPD's version of a "10-3," used by MSP (until they were ordered to stop using 10 codes) and many sheriff's departments in MD. The 10-3 broadcast is typically given when units are responding to or on scene of a high risk situation, and the purpose is to limit radio traffic to the personnel on that incident. The usual terminology would be something like "xxxx to all units, 10-3 on the channel except for units responding to (xxx location)."

You don't want a trooper/deputy calling in routine radio traffic to interfere with the ones dealing with the serious incident. Of course, with the gazillion TG's now available on trunked systems, they will usually move either the serious incident or the routine traffic to an alternate channel/TG.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
BPD uses this odd terminology to keep officers away from areas that other units require to be sanitized from marked, visible police activity due to their ops.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Being retired from BCPD, it would be for a bomb threat or found explosives. I always it to be fruitless considering cabs, buses, and all the other private two-way radios functioning in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.