Baltimore Trunk Locking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

mlevin said:
No, it's not the dispatcher holding the freq. I've experienced the same problem wih my Pro 96 and always thought it was a problem with my scanner. Is there a way to change the digital end code on the 96 or do I just have to put up with it?

Mo, I think you are stuck. I recall the Uniden dig end code feature being such a big deal because it was not available in the 96/2096.

doctordave

Mo,

If you don't get a response here, you might inquire on the DE board, as there are a few RR members in DE with GRE radios...and since repeater sticks are so common with the DE system, you'll likely get a clear idea of the the GREs handle such issues.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed this happening on the PRO-96 for weeks now....I'll be listening to the feed at work and have minutes of silence for no apparent reason....I turn the audio on at home and it may act normal for an hour or so.....but the silent periods still turn up. Apparently this is not model-specific.....?

don333

Mo, I have a GRE PSR-500 nad a 600. I dumped my 396 and 996 and have experienced none of the problems I had with the Unidens. I have found the GRE products to be superior and have no regrets. I had a decoder problem with the 500 and returned it to GRE. They didn't even suggest that they would repair it, but sent me a "new" radio so I would, also, say that their customer service is excellent. Just adding my $.02.

Don
BNN 333

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
Hello,

For those who use GRE Model Scanners, enable ATT on the PSR series, and attenuate the hanging Voice Channel on the PRO series. This may keep the units Trunking. Digital End Code Detection can be enabled on the Uniden BCD series.

The PSR series have a MOT End Tone setting which can be lowered using the Expert settings.

HTHs

Dave AKA The Tripzter

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Okay...I knocked the ID Delay down to 1 second, and it seems the silent spots are gone....hmmmmm...

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I spoke too soon..the delays are back.

Maybe it's time to trade up for a PSR-600...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Uniden is about to release new firmware for 396/996 that addresses some of these issues. Should be out very soon, and by the end of March at the latest.

CA
Annapolis

Baltimore City TRS "hold"

TinEar said:
I sort of understood their rationale Dave although I think it was based on a faulty understanding of the way a trunked system works.. I'd hear it come from both the dispatcher and/or an officer on the scene of a "hot" situation such as during an arrest or an "officer needs assistance" call. The officer would tell the dispatcher to "hold the freq," the dispatcher would repeat it and you'd just get dead silence until someone had something to say but the talkgroup/frequency would not be released. They might have been under the mistaken impression that they wouldn't have an available freq for the next transmission if they didn't "reserve" it. Because they were in a dangerous situation, they wanted to make sure they would be heard by the dispatcher. As mentioned earlier, I haven't been listening to the City recently so don't know if they're still doing this but it's worth considering rather than assuming the radio is faulty.
Tin Ear-
When they are asking the Dispatcher to "Hold" the frequency or channel, they are asking all non involved units to hold radio traffic until the situation is clear. It is equivalent to a "10-3" or "stop transmitting" in other agencies. On some radio systems, if the "emergency button" is depressed by the officer, you will hear open carrier on that Talkgroup until it is reset by that individual radio or the Dispatcher clears it. On a busy 3-11 shift, using out-dated low-bid radio equipment that our government buys, you may just need that frequency held open to get that transmission through. Someone must have reminded the Motorola engineers along the way that in the real world, you are not always standing perfectly still with both hands free and have a full 2 seconds to key the mic, wait for the central controller to find a frequency before screaming for help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
doctordave said:
Mike,

If I recall correctly, the "digital end code" option was added to the 396 via one of the prior firmware updates. The same procedure (above) applies to the 996....and offhand, I think the original 996 firmware included this feature (not positive on this). At any rate, if it's missing in the so-called "hidden menu" of any given 396/996, then it certainly can be made available by simply applying the latest exisiting firmware updates.

This feature has proven to be a real charm for those of us who routinely monitor the DE 800 system, where repeater hangups are common.

I've added it to the wiki - now the USD64 question - which firmware update added the digital end code option? I know that they are cumulative in nature, so if you don't have it now, when the next one is released, you should get it - but this would be handy to know

73 Mike

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
On a Moto system a channel will "hang" if there is noise or signal on the input frequency. This could be skip or intermod.

Balto Co had this happening when they turned their system up years ago, Ended up being a system in NJ on the direct opposite system offset (tx / rx reversed).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
GRRR...868.30 is holding the SE district Baltimore city talkgroup....I gotta apply the dig end code fix, if I have that option in this firmware version... 73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.