Ban on Private Sales of Firearms Pending Action on IL House Floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepdx

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
818
Location
Corbett, OR USA
Proposed IL House Bill 758 would create a virtual ban on the private transfer of firearms:

Requires a person who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm of a size that may be concealed upon the person to another person, who is not a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer, to do so only at the place of business of a federally licensed firearm dealer.

Provides that the purchaser or transferee may be required by the federally licensed firearm dealer to pay a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm.

link to full proposal & list of the fascists who support it:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=758&GAID=9&GA=95&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=28058&SessionID=51

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, if I'm in Illinois, and I wish to sell my handgun to my next door neighbor,
I must take my gun to a firearm dealer, pay the $10, and have the dealer
process an ocean of paperwork and inform the government of all of the
particulars of the sale, and get the govenment's nod to transact a private sale.

Illinois folks: WAKE UP! You're asleep at the wheel.
Your representatives are trampling on more of your rights.
There's a lot of us out here in the West (excluding California)
who are shaking our heads on this one.
(A few Montanans and Wyomingans just fell off of their horses).

What the hell does this bill accomplish?
Do they think a career criminal is going to go thru this
process to sell his Glock to one of his co-felons?
 
Last edited:

iMONITOR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
7,057
Location
MACOMB, MI.
Austin4Wyo said:
Youch...like you said, fascism in the works.

My god, but I'm glad I live in Wyoming sometimes.
It won't do you any good to live in Wyoming if a Democrat gets in the White House!
 

Austin4Wyo

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
148
Location
Laramie, WY
GreatLakes said:
It won't do you any good to live in Wyoming if a Democrat gets in the White House!
I don't think that's a terribly accurate statement. It's more in the hands of the Supreme Court than in the hands of the President. Violation of a single Amendment is one thing, violation of two or more is another, and historically, the Supreme Court doesn't support that sort of sweeping legislation. Keep in mind, the legislation mentioned in the OP is at the state level, not at the Federal level.
 

iMONITOR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
7,057
Location
MACOMB, MI.
Austin4Wyo said:
I don't think that's a terribly accurate statement. It's more in the hands of the Supreme Court than in the hands of the President. Violation of a single Amendment is one thing, violation of two or more is another, and historically, the Supreme Court doesn't support that sort of sweeping legislation. Keep in mind, the legislation mentioned in the OP is at the state level, not at the Federal level.
Well I hope you're right, but with the number of Democrats in our Government already, adding one to the White House could do some serious damage to gun ownership in general.
 

RC54730

Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
3
GreatLakes said:
It won't do you any good to live in Wyoming if a Democrat gets in the White House!
Actually, I think having a democrat in the white house is the best thing that can happen this election year. I've always been pretty conservative, but will definitely be voting democrat this time around - doesn't matter if it Hilary, Barack or Nancy Pelosi for that matter, it's time to run the republicans out of town on a rail.

It really is time for a third-party, as the republicans are virtually no different then the democrats in terms of the damage they've done to the country over the last eight years or so. As much as it irks me to vote for one of the democrats who are going to be running, it would irk me even more to half-heartedly be part of preserving the status quo in terms of rewarding people like McCain for their performance so far.

I have a lot of republican friends who are going to do the same. This isn't about sitting out the vote, it's about getting up and delivering a total knock-out punch to the republicans and letting them know that it isn't going to be business as usual anymore.
 

mancow

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
5,936
Location
N.E. Kansas
I understand your sentiment but isn't that kind of like driving off a cliff to avoid being car-jacked?
 

mikepdx

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
818
Location
Corbett, OR USA
GreatLakes said:
It won't do you any good to live in Wyoming if a Democrat gets in the White House!
I'd STRONGLY advise anyone or any agency against
attempting to take a gun away from a Wyoming gun owner.

They'd gladly give you the gun alright...
barrel first.
 

Austin4Wyo

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
148
Location
Laramie, WY
Microwavemike said:
Never vote for ANY Democrat, and FIRE the ones in office !!!!


mm
Funny, I hear the same thing about Republicans, and I live in Wyoming.

Hey, I know, let's make some brilliant political banter!

(insert arrogant, ignorant partisan remark here)
 

Austin4Wyo

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
148
Location
Laramie, WY
RC54730 said:
Actually, I think having a democrat in the white house is the best thing that can happen this election year. I've always been pretty conservative, but will definitely be voting democrat this time around - doesn't matter if it Hilary, Barack or Nancy Pelosi for that matter, it's time to run the republicans out of town on a rail.

It really is time for a third-party, as the republicans are virtually no different then the democrats in terms of the damage they've done to the country over the last eight years or so. As much as it irks me to vote for one of the democrats who are going to be running, it would irk me even more to half-heartedly be part of preserving the status quo in terms of rewarding people like McCain for their performance so far.

I have a lot of republican friends who are going to do the same. This isn't about sitting out the vote, it's about getting up and delivering a total knock-out punch to the republicans and letting them know that it isn't going to be business as usual anymore.
Thank you. I'm glad some people around here are willing to engage in a sane and civil conversation, rather than screaming ridiculous generalizations and bashing the "other" side.

A thoughtful post in the Wasteland...what a concept...
 

hoser147

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
4,439
Location
Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio
Austin4Wyo said:
Thank you. I'm glad some people around here are willing to engage in a sane and civil conversation, rather than screaming ridiculous generalizations and bashing the "other" side.

A thoughtful post in the Wasteland...what a concept...
Regardless its still an attempt to Tax us another way and registrar unregistered guns out there. And its helping to chip away at our rights...............Hoser
 

ibagli

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
973
Location
Ohio
RC54730 said:
It really is time for a third-party, as the republicans are virtually no different then the democrats in terms of the damage they've done to the country over the last eight years or so. As much as it irks me to vote for one of the democrats who are going to be running, it would irk me even more to half-heartedly be part of preserving the status quo in terms of rewarding people like McCain for their performance so far.
A third party can't happen in a plurality voting system like ours without completely booting another party out and taking over the old party's role completely. Unless we completely change the electoral system, we will only have two viable parties at any time, and due to the way Congress and the Presidency work, a new party would just be a name change for an old one. (Sorry for the pessimism)

(Though I wouldn't mind seeing one or both go out of business at times.)
 
Last edited:

hoser147

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
4,439
Location
Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio
ibagli said:
A third party can't happen in a plurality voting system like ours without completely booting another party out and taking over the old party's role completely. Unless we completely change the electoral system, we will only have two viable parties at any time, and due to the way Congress and the Presidency work, a new party would just be a name change for an old one. (Sorry for the pessimism)

(Though I wouldn't mind seeing one or both go out of business at times.)
Need to just do away with the electoral system. The politicians will still go to as many places there going to know where they stand in the cities, so there bound to go after as many small population area's to make sure they pick up those extra votes..............Hoser
 

Austin4Wyo

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
148
Location
Laramie, WY
hoser147 said:
Regardless its still an attempt to Tax us another way and registrar unregistered guns out there. And its helping to chip away at our rights...............Hoser
Oh, no doubt. I was never arguing that fact and I'd fight vehemently against such legislation. However, remarks of Fire all the Democrats are...well, not terribly well thought out is as abrasive as I'll be, I suppose.

Again, I'm from Wyoming...I'm as Libertarian as they get. Strangely enough, that puts me at odds with Republicans due to the fact that the current Republican paradigm of big spending, big government isn't the Republicans my daddy and granddaddy were voting for 20 and 50 years ago. However, as usual, gross generalizations and ill-informed opinions take away the opportunity for sane and civil discussion.

I'd just cracks me up that a piece of legislation at the state level brings out the political name-callers for a national debate that doesn't exist if things stay on topic.

Speaking of being off topic...I think I'm getting off my soapbox.
 

RC54730

Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
3
ibagli said:
A third party can't happen in a plurality voting system like ours without completely booting another party out and taking over the old party's role completely. Unless we completely change the electoral system, we will only have two viable parties at any time, and due to the way Congress and the Presidency work, a new party would just be a name change for an old one. (Sorry for the pessimism)
Sigh... I know, I know, just wishful thinking. The way things are working these days, what can you do - elections these days remind me of that Far Side cartoon, where the devil is pointing some guy towards a couple of doors marked "Damned if you do" and "Damned if you don't."
 

RC54730

Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
3
Austin4Wyo said:
Oh, no doubt. I was never arguing that fact and I'd fight vehemently against such legislation. However, remarks of Fire all the Democrats are...well, not terribly well thought out is as abrasive as I'll be, I suppose.

Again, I'm from Wyoming...I'm as Libertarian as they get. Strangely enough, that puts me at odds with Republicans due to the fact that the current Republican paradigm of big spending, big government isn't the Republicans my daddy and granddaddy were voting for 20 and 50 years ago. However, as usual, gross generalizations and ill-informed opinions take away the opportunity for sane and civil discussion.

I'd just cracks me up that a piece of legislation at the state level brings out the political name-callers for a national debate that doesn't exist if things stay on topic.

Speaking of being off topic...I think I'm getting off my soapbox.
Wyoming huh? That's a great state. I've only been there a couple of times, but talk about a whole lot of open country. Population of like 600K people in the ENTIRE state. How is it these days - are people pouring in as much as they are in Montana? I was going to buy a place in Kalispell, MT a while back, and it was crazy to see how much the property values had been driven up by all the folks flooding in there...
 

iMONITOR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
7,057
Location
MACOMB, MI.
RC54730 said:
Actually, I think having a democrat in the white house is the best thing that can happen this election year. I've always been pretty conservative, but will definitely be voting democrat this time around - doesn't matter if it Hilary, Barack or Nancy Pelosi for that matter, it's time to run the republicans out of town on a rail.

It really is time for a third-party, as the republicans are virtually no different then the democrats in terms of the damage they've done to the country over the last eight years or so. As much as it irks me to vote for one of the democrats who are going to be running, it would irk me even more to half-heartedly be part of preserving the status quo in terms of rewarding people like McCain for their performance so far.

I have a lot of republican friends who are going to do the same. This isn't about sitting out the vote, it's about getting up and delivering a total knock-out punch to the republicans and letting them know that it isn't going to be business as usual anymore.

I'm sure many of us have thought the same thing. But I'm fearful of the damage the Democrats can do while they are in there.
 

Austin4Wyo

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
148
Location
Laramie, WY
GreatLakes said:
I'm sure many of us have thought the same thing. But I'm fearful of the damage the Democrats can do while they are in there.
Again, GreatLakes, it goes both ways. I know plenty who would say that the Republicans have a fairly lousy track record over the last seven years, so the argument is neither here nor there (or perhaps both places and we're in between. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top