Band Opening - Unknown trunked radio systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I had a very strong band opening on 800MHz to the North this morning. I caught some control channels and system IDs mainly from western central NC, including Pineville, Mint Hill, Cabarrus, Charlotte Observer, White Construction trunked radio systems. This all from Upstate SC. Oh, and 4 sites of the VIPER system.

Here are some unknowns (not listed in the database) and what I suspect they might be:

581F - 855.4375 CC - Rutherford Electric, probably in McDowell Co. Voice freqs included 855.4125 and 854.8625
0C3A - 859.1625 CC - Duke Energy, probably in Catawba or Rowan Co.
4D10 - 855.6125 CC - Rutherford Electric, maybe in Gaston, Lincoln or Rutherford Cos.
3F36 - 857.3875 CC - Rutherford Electric, maybe in Gaston, Lincoln or Rutherford Cos., or Rouse Farms in Lenoir Co.

Any confirmations of these systems that folks closer to the areas could offer is appreciated.

Brian

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Brian,

From previous logging notes using a Pro 96:

>> 581F - 855.4375 CC - Rutherford Electric, probably in McDowell Co. Voice freqs included 855.4125 and 854.8625

I've monitored this freq / I-D combination during checks in Burke and Catawba Counties.

>> 0C3A - 859.1625 CC - Duke Energy, probably in Catawba or Rowan Co.

I believe Catawba County is correct. I've logged this one in Hickory, Icard (eastern Burke Co), Vale (western Lincoln Co) and Statesville.

>> 4D10 - 855.6125 CC - Rutherford Electric, maybe in Gaston, Lincoln or Rutherford Cos.

I've logged this one in Shelby and Morganton.

>> 3F36 - 857.3875 CC - Rutherford Electric, maybe in Gaston, Lincoln or Rutherford Cos., or Rouse Farms in Lenoir Co.

I've logged this one in Kings Mountain. Not likely Lenoir "County."

Gee ... this was the second time recently that you were enjoying the enhanced conditions on 800 MHz (likely due to the cold front moving into the region), while I was snoozing on high band, with only the Locution synthesized voice on Wake Co fire to show for it.

Jeff Multer

pboy

Yes, 0C3A is the Duke Energy site on Baker Mtn. just south of Hickory. Still a Motorola Type I.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, Jeff, I just got some new 800MHz base antennas installed and I guess I'm see the benefits.

I put up a 6-element 800MHz yagi (which I can aim with a rotor) and a 3dB gain 800MHz omni. I can use the omni as a pretty good multi-band antenna for local freqs, and I can pretty consistently pull in Charlotte-Meck Co Public Safety TRS using the yagi in the evenings. Both are fed by by LMR-400 and are up about 25'.

But, in fact, this morning I discovered that enhancement using my RS 800 duck. I was getting some type of data interference on 859.4625, which is used as a voice freq on the local Palmetto 800 site. So I did a quick search of 866-869 (still with the duck) and captured all those freq/SysID pairs. I then switched to the radio feeding trunker to get more details.

Anyway, thanks for the confirmations.

Brian

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Gotta love the summertime dx! :D
BTW Bri-Guy: Next time I am in your neck of the woods you and I are gonna have to do lunch...I mean Anderson is only about 2 hours from where you are at right??? I was in Anderson 2 weekends ago but that was for a short weekend trip....I hope to be back down that way pretty soon and be able to do some hard core Pal 800 monitoring :cool:
73's
Marshall KE4ZNR

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Anderson is more like 1 1/2 hours, depending on how you drive on the interstate.

We could meet in Greenville sometime, that'll be about half-way.

Just let me know.

Brian

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
"I put up a 6-element 800MHz yagi (which I can aim with a rotor) and a 3dB gain 800MHz omni."

Question here---I have a 3 element beam & just bought the 800 mhz cushcraft omni 3db gain--would the 6 element beam give me much better reception than the 3 element?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
It will give you more gain. I got the MYA8506 from Maxrad, and it lists 9dB gain. The 3-element models list 6dB. That 3dB might not make much difference for you. I think the upgrade to LMR-400 has made more difference in my monitoring. The 6-element yagi is certainly more directional than the 3-element. I spend more time "fine-tuning" with my rotor than I used to.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.