Band opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Summertime skip? There seemed to be alot of skip last night. I was picking up vhf hi band transmissions from 150 miles away, as well as vhf aircraft band atis transmisions from 50-75 miles away.

daleduke17

What kind of antenna/radio are you using?

Which atis towers were you getting? Anytime I try and pickup the ATIS at BMI it is marginal and I am only a couple miles away.

timmer

I'm using an AOR3000a with a Diamond d-130j discone mounted on a 45 foot tower. I'm near Springfield and was picking up Decatur airport atis on 126.35 and another I couldn't identify on 127.175, possibly Petersburg (about 25-30 miles to the nw. Decatur is about 35 miles to the east. Also was getting a couple of Kansas City center ground transmisions on 127.22 and 125.5. (I think 125.5 is remoted from St.Louis.) I was also getting quite a bit of State police and county departments in the 154-156 range from 100+ miles.

timmer

Today the lower bands are opened up. cb and low band vhf are going crazy. I'm picking up Tennesee state police on 42.5. The cb band is wide open, also.

daleduke17

Petersburg has an ATIS at their airport? Shoot, Petersburg HAS an airport? Could you have possibly gotten Jacksonville? (dunno, just a guess at the next biggest city to you aside from Springfield that might have an ATIS)

Great to see another central Illinoisan on here from that region of IL. I grew up about 25 minutes NW of Decatur and 30 minutes NE of Springfield.

timmer

Yeah, I'm not sure on that 127.175 freq. Couldn't quite make out the voice. Believe it or not, Taylorville also has an "atis" of sorts. It is an identifier with a little (very little) info on it about runway conditions and cloud conditions. It transmits on 123.875. I'll give a listen again tonight to see if I can ID the 127.175 trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.