• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Band Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

claybarnes

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
138
Location
Birmingham, Al.
I am having a problem programming my new 996T that I recieved this Past Friday. Iam at the "Band Plans" i have gone over and over the manual, and I don'd get it. I have printed all of the freq and talkgroups I want to listen to from RR but, I just can't seem to get this all put together. I'm not looking to shortcut anything, because I have poured over this manual several times. I know sooner or later the light bulb will go off! Any nudges in the right direction will be GREATLY appreciated.

73's

Clay
KD4GVK
 

Mattsenft

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
151
Location
Harrisburg, PA
With the exception of some VHF/UHF trunking systems, most of what you program will probably not need a band plan. Where band plans are needed they are usuallly listed in the database.
 

claybarnes

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
138
Location
Birmingham, Al.
Thanks and another question

Thanks! This is where the manual is so confusing. Do I skip that entirely and punch in my talk groups and then scan away? I'm confused over this entire process, and I did not think I was a dummy until now!
 

seamusg

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
2,181
Location
Grand Blanc, MI
claybarnes said:
Thanks! This is where the manual is so confusing. Do I skip that entirely and punch in my talk groups and then scan away? I'm confused over this entire process, and I did not think I was a dummy until now!
What system are you trying to program?
 

claybarnes

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
138
Location
Birmingham, Al.
P-25 System

I'm trying to Program the Jefferson County, Alabama P-25 System. I have the primary Frequencies, and Talkgroups punched in, but so far I've heard nothing. I do not know if I have it programmed correctly or not.
 

seamusg

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
2,181
Location
Grand Blanc, MI
claybarnes said:
I'm trying to Program the Jefferson County, Alabama P-25 System. I have the primary Frequencies, and Talkgroups punched in, but so far I've heard nothing. I do not know if I have it programmed correctly or not.
If you're trying to program in this system:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=281
It is not a Project 25 Standard (P25) system with a 9600 bps control channel. It is a Motorola II mixed mode system with a 3600 bps control channel. Program it as a MOT II system, the scanner will not reconize the CC if you tell it it's a P25 system. You program in system type not voice type.
 

claybarnes

Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
138
Location
Birmingham, Al.
Mot Ii

OK I Typed in the P25 but, the more I play around with this beast, do I just choose the MOT Type II. Now that I'm understanding this little by little I think I will just start over. Thanks again for your help. I will try not to bug you, but if I get stumped again may I ask you another question or two? Thanks!

Clay
 

seamusg

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
2,181
Location
Grand Blanc, MI
claybarnes said:
OK I Typed in the P25 but, the more I play around with this beast, do I just choose the MOT Type II. Now that I'm understanding this little by little I think I will just start over. Thanks again for your help. I will try not to bug you, but if I get stumped again may I ask you another question or two? Thanks!

Clay
I believe the type is Mot II UHF, I don't have a 996 yet, but when they convert the county where I live to a P25 Simulcast I may need a new scanner, since I'm running out of room on my 796. The most common problem I've seen in post on this site with programing the 996 for a mixed mode system has been programing it as a P25 system. I have 2 P25 systems in my area one I monitor four sites on and were getting 2 more P25 systems in the area, plus a few MOT II systems and EDACS systems.
 

duckbird

Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2002
Messages
120
Location
Texas
claybarnes said:
I am having a problem programming my new 996T that I recieved this Past Friday. Iam at the "Band Plans" i have gone over and over the manual, and I don'd get it. I have printed all of the freq and talkgroups I want to listen to from RR but, I just can't seem to get this all put together. I'm not looking to shortcut anything, because I have poured over this manual several times. I know sooner or later the light bulb will go off! Any nudges in the right direction will be GREATLY appreciated.

73's

Clay
KD4GVK

You simply need to program it as MOT TYPE 2/P25 then at EDIT SITE, choose 800Mhz Standard
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top