Band scope Vs RF power plot and others

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I have a Homepatrol 2, a 436HP, and an SDS100.

I'm trying to understand the difference between RF power plot and band scope. The HP2 has band scope feature but I can't figure out the difference between RF power plot. Can someone help explain?

Also, is it true close call won't work on DMR? A local system is on Capacity Plus, and I hear them all the time. But I'm wondering, if I go on campus and I'm near a security guard and I have close call on and they transmit, will I be able to hear it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I have a Homepatrol 2, a 436HP, and an SDS100.

I'm trying to understand the difference between RF power plot and band scope. The HP2 has band scope feature but I can't figure out the difference between RF power plot. Can someone help explain?

Also, is it true close call won't work on DMR? A local system is on Capacity Plus, and I hear them all the time. But I'm wondering, if I go on campus and I'm near a security guard and I have close call on and they transmit, will I be able to hear it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Band Scope screen that you can get on the HP-2 (with the Extreme Upgrade), is not available on the 436HP nor the SDS100.

The Power Plot, which you can get with the HP-2 w/Extreme, as well as the x36HP scanners, gives you an indication of the strength of a signal you are receiving. You could use it to verify how strong a signal you are getting, or to compare performance of various types (and lengths) of antennas, The SDS series scanners do not have the Power Plot option.

Close Call will not work on receiving a simplex signal, like from a handheld radio. It requires a constant signal to work correctly. For the transmission of a DMR radio (in the field, not from a repeater), the signal, in effect, breaks every few microseconds as it alternates between the slots.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
The Band Scope screen that you can get on the HP-2 (with the Extreme Upgrade), is not available on the 436HP nor the SDS100.

The Power Plot, which you can get with the HP-2 w/Extreme, as well as the x36HP scanners, gives you an indication of the strength of a signal you are receiving. You could use it to verify how strong a signal you are getting, or to compare performance of various types (and lengths) of antennas, The SDS series scanners do not have the Power Plot option.

Close Call will not work on receiving a simplex signal, like from a handheld radio. It requires a constant signal to work correctly. For the transmission of a DMR radio (in the field, not from a repeater), the signal, in effect, breaks every few microseconds as it alternates between the slots.
Yes I know which features are available on the different scanners but I don't understand the difference between RF power plot and band scope.

Why does close call pick up my ham radios and walkie talkies then? They're simplex, not a repeater.

I thought close call plays nearby transmissions. You're saying there are significant limitations to that? What signals WILL it receive? Only FM analog signals?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes I know which features are available on the different scanners but I don't understand the difference between RF power plot and band scope.

Why does close call pick up my ham radios and walkie talkies then? They're simplex, not a repeater.

I thought close call plays nearby transmissions. You're saying there are significant limitations to that? What signals WILL it receive? Only FM analog signals?
See if this helps. While it is for different models, the basic information is the same for the HP series.

Unfortunately, all the links I had, specifically for the Home Patrol series scanners (HP-1 & HP-2) are no longer valid, apparently orphaned after the passing of Paul Opitz (UPMan).

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

I wouldn’t call it significant limitations, more a physics thing. The pulsed signal of a DMR subscriber is too short in duration (about 30 milliseconds) for Close Call to detect.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
See if this helps. While it is for different models, the basic information is the same for the HP series.

Unfortunately, all the links I had, specifically for the Home Patrol series scanners (HP-1 & HP-2) are no longer valid, apparently orphaned after the passing of Paul Opitz (UPMan).

The TWIKI was recently (a couple months ago) completely moved, so that is what caused many dead link issues.