Bandsplit Question, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chy1723

Premium Subscriber
Stupid Question.... I see a two-way radio for sale, it says used for the 150-174 mhz bandsplit. Is that not the same as a radio that transmits between 136 - 174 mhz???? My FD uses 155 mhz and I dont want to buy something that isn't going to work for me. Thanks for all the help.... CHRIS Y.

swest90

There are several models that only transmit on the said 150-174Mhz. If you dont need to transmit below 150 you will be fine. On the other hand if you are a ham or have anything below 150. You might want to look for a 146-174 split.

KC4ZEX

Radio for sale

Their are a few things you need to know about the specific radio to make a decision. You say it says 150 to 174. Depending on the model that can vary, it could mean it starts at exactly 150 or it could actually work a little below that some will go down to 2 meters at 145 or 146 most will not go much lower. The main question i would be concerned with is PL and repeater split capability. What pl does your Dept use on 155 a standard pl one of the original 38 tones. Most radios will do this. If it is one of the other 12 added a few years later some radios will some will not. Even some new models just out only do the original 38. Or do you need a digital pl this really limits your choices several radios out will not do those. Some models are wide banded. if you are on a repeater how far apart is the input ch. from the output ch. Most new models are fine. But if its and older radio you may be limited by the actual spread the radio will cover. In other words if you use 155 but need a ch at 151. or another at 159 one of the two may lose a little on receive or transmit performance. Also now most of the new models will do the new narrow half channels. If its 3 yrs old it probably will not.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Chris and all,

What is a "bandsplit"? Frankly I never heard such a term, the figures refer to a band segment. My best guess considering the figures and not that ambiguous term is since 155 lies between 150 and 174 the radio should be usable. If it's an old crystal controlled radio naturally you'll have to change the oscillator units and it will have to be retuned for the specific frequency. If programmable it's broad enough and only needs to be programmed for the new frequency.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Some manufacturers put the bandsplit on the radio based on the cut of the antenna even though the radio works from 136 to 174. The portable antennas are only so broad and very few will do the whole band efficiently.

DickH

kb2vxa said:
Hi Chris and all,
What is a "bandsplit"? Frankly I never heard such a term, ...

Me, too. Isn't the correct term RANGE, SPREAD or SEGMENT?

nexus

kb2vxa said:
Hi Chris and all,

What is a "bandsplit"? Frankly I never heard such a term, the figures refer to a band segment. My best guess considering the figures and not that ambiguous term is since 155 lies between 150 and 174 the radio should be usable. If it's an old crystal controlled radio naturally you'll have to change the oscillator units and it will have to be retuned for the specific frequency. If programmable it's broad enough and only needs to be programmed for the new frequency.

It's a business/professional radio term, not amateur radio term.

Take for instance Motorola. They may have 3 or 4 different versions of a specific model radio on the market. Each are tuned to work on a specific section of the band. I.E. Bandsplits. You could have two motorola P1225's and they not be the same because one would only allow programming from 136mhz to 155mhz, and the other would be programmable from 150mhz to 174mhz. There are some that will cover the entire range from 136 to 174mhz however. So when you read or hear someone refering to the bandsplit of the radio, it means the specific range of frequencies that the radio is allowed to operate within.

nexus

DickH said:
Me, too. Isn't the correct term RANGE, SPREAD or SEGMENT?

The correct term is CTCSS but motorola calls it PL "Privateline (tm)*

it's just a word that a company came up with.

Mozilla

Radios

It should be mentioned that Motorola was the inventor of CTCSS and they trademarked their version the with the PL title. Other commercial vendors refer to it as Channel guard, coded squelch, code guard etc , etc.

As to bandplit, heres how one radio is described. " The xxx is capable of operation in the VHF 138-174MHz. There are 4 bandplits within this range which are 138-150, 150-162, 157-174 and a broadband version of 148-174. Don't get all gooey on the terms, , you will also see Marine Band, Air Band, T-Band etc. Newer radios usually cover larger segments of the operating portion.

As to the radio question. Make sure you have someone who can program and tune what you are using, it makes life easier. Also check if any changes such as moving to another band or going narrowband are coming up...
More importantly since it sounds like you are FD related, will you be using this in what kind of environment ? factor such as heat, water and what a radio can take are important.
How many channels do you need. If paging or pageouts occur, how are they done and does the radio you want do this, if you need it. Are you responding in your own vehicle or working out of a station. Do you live in an area where when outside of work a mobile vehicle adpater , also known as converta-com, MVA, etc would allow for charging and external antenna. Look into what you need and feel free to ask questions....

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi again,

Nexus, I never said "bandsplit" was an Amateur term, we don't even have such a term, we have sub bands or "portions" to use the common form. "Band segment" is a professional term and the only one I have heard used. There's no right and wrong here, only confusion stemming from an ambiguous term. BTW, how did CTCSS sneak in here?

Dick, I would use "frequency spread" as not to conflict with "bandspread" which is a second dial on a general coverage receiver used to tune a specific portion of a much larger band.

Mo, I believe most of us know that CTCSS has several trade names like Motorola's Private Line (PL), GE's Channel Guard (Or was that RCA?) and such. Then why are you another operative for KAOS confusing the heck out of a poor soul who asked a simple question?

Cummon guys, are you trying to be "helpful" or starting your own off topic tech discussion well after the question was adequately answered? Haven't you noticed you have muddied the water so badly the fish has died?

Mozilla

Answers

You assume toooo much... If the individual looks at a radio tommorrow , based on what I posted he may understand when someone throws out the word channel guard or CTCSS etc. etc that they are just different names for the same thing.
In looking at the original post and going with lets at least get him some info...
I also did post a few questions as to his need with hopes, that he will not waste his money or get short changed... and again I think while there are several issues that he may have to look into, once he answers or asks those questions he will be better off for it...
There are terms that vary between commercial/ professional user and also amateurs,
there are slang terms even ( those are used by technicians and engineers who are easy to spot, look for bandana or sideways titled ball caps ;) )
To the original poster the offer still stands to ask any questions you need to... or get some answers and come back and some individuals on here will be able to give you some input or options.

chy1723

Premium Subscriber
My FD uses 155.895 w/ PL of 114.8 and 155.985 w/ no PL. Other freq's that I will be using are all between 152.000 & 156.000. So, the way I take this that any radio with a range in this area will work, correct?? The area that I am in is, for the most part, flat. Very few 'hills' in the out lying area, places that I am not in very often. We are on a non-repeater system, with the tower being in the center of the county 150 ft high. So with that being said, anyone have suggestions on a radio? I only need about 16 channels. Thanks for all the input. -CHRIS

Mozilla

Radio

Then a lot of the radios could fit the bill, but some proven ones, from the Motorola side, the older radio recommended would be the MT1000 - to the more recent HT1000, price ranging for a complete package from $100 to $200 at a good price. Also GE/Ericsson M-RK
model 1, can do 32 channesl, Astro Sabers that are analog only have been on ebay for around $100-$200. Some others could recommend other brands and models...

Status
Not open for further replies.