Banff RCMP town freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

masonb

Looking in the database I see that the Banff RCMP are listed using 166.2900 (156.7PL) as 'law talk'. I believe this to be incorrect & should be labeled as an 'interop' channel as the coverage stretches from the town site all the way to Lake Louise (with multiple towers along the way). Not only do the RCMP use that frequency (on occasion), but so does the Banff fire department, Banff hospital as well as the Parks Canada game wardens/fire exchange radios. Game warden/F.E.R. uses it as a simplex while the others are transmitting on 157.09500 to broadcast on 166.2900

I am 99% sure this is correct, it is however early & my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

mciupa

Database Admin
Looking in the database I see that the Banff RCMP are listed using 166.2900 (156.7PL) as 'law talk'. I believe this to be incorrect & should be labeled as an 'interop' channel as the coverage stretches from the town site all the way to Lake Louise (with multiple towers along the way). Not only do the RCMP use that frequency (on occasion), but so does the Banff fire department, Banff hospital as well as the Parks Canada game wardens/fire exchange radios. Game warden/F.E.R. uses it as a simplex while the others are transmitting on 157.09500 to broadcast on 166.2900

I am 99% sure this is correct, it is however early & my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Thanks for the clarification. Change made, however it's mid afternoon and the scotch hasn't kicked in yet. :lol:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
166.29 is a Parks Canada talkaround frequency used in national parks pretty much nationwide..... shouldn't be listed as an RCMP frequency anywhere.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Correction

Sorry guys ... when I saw that on there I was sure it was a Parks Freq ...
I was just adding the NEW PL tone that came up on my radio as I was passing through.
Thanks for catching that Jay911

166.29 is a Parks Canada talkaround frequency used in national parks pretty much nationwide..... shouldn't be listed as an RCMP frequency anywhere.

VE6CLG

Stumbled across this thread and though I could contribute. In 2008, Parks Canada used 166.290 simplex for Paging townsite volunteer fire dept's in Banff, Jasper, Waterton and Yoho. In Waterton the Vol Fire also uses it as the Rx side of a WB split repeater frequency. As Parks Canada dispatch center no longer dispatches the Vol Fire, perhaps they have recycled and re-purposed that frequency for highways maintenance crews.

Not that it's relevant, but there are no 'Game Wardens' in Canada's National Parks. There are 'Park Wardens' who's primary mandate is to enforce the Canadian National Parks Act, and on the wildlife issue side of things, there are 'Resource Management Officers' who work for the Resource Conservation Section and take a lead role in dealing with Human-Wildlife Conflict issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.