Banks County SDS100 nxdn

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvclark

Help please and I hope I posted this in the correct place. I received my sds100 loaded for banks county ga with nxdn upgrade. I hear nothing, even sitting in front of the police station. Not sure if there is something I am doing wrong? (Newbie question sorry) I did hear 1 freq for fire dispatch and one time I heard the Sheriff dispatch (talkgroup Dec 50) but that was a bolo call.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Help please and I hope I posted this in the correct place. I received my sds100 loaded for banks county ga with nxdn upgrade. I hear nothing, even sitting in front of the police station. Not sure if there is something I am doing wrong? (Newbie question sorry) I did hear 1 freq for fire dispatch and one time I heard the Sheriff dispatch (talkgroup Dec 50) but that was a bolo call.
Not for nothing but, “even sitting in front of the police station” doesn’t mean you are necessarily sitting in front of the transmitting antenna… the agency may be linking to a remote transmitting/receive site elsewhere. They use microwave linking or dedicated phone line's to get to these remote sites.

You didn’t say it but the assumption is you know for a fact the antenna is located at the police station. I’ve encountered the same assumption(s) in my town-the police station has a cell tower located behind their building and everyone naturally assumes the police are using it for their comms system. But while the police have a backup antenna mounted on the roof of their building (deliberate redundancy in the event they loose their primary transmit/receive site), they use phone lines to connect to their primary antenna site, atop a hill located a couple miles down the road.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well one thing that could be wrong is the mode you're using. Our database shows your county as being on a MOTOTRBO system and having a little conventional DMR, too.

So it appears you need the DMR upgrade to hear your county...Mike

lvclark

Well one thing that could be wrong is the mode you're using. Our database shows your county as being on a MOTOTRBO system and having a little conventional DMR, too.

I thought Banks county uses nxdn multi trunk.. 4800 c

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator

He stated Banks County in the first post, which does show to the using NXDN. Not sure where Jackson County came from.

lvclark

Not for nothing but, “even sitting in front of the police station” doesn’t mean you are necessarily sitting in front of the transmitting antenna… the agency may be linking to a remote transmitting/receive site elsewhere. They use microwave linking or dedicated phone line's to get to these remote sites.

You didn’t say it but the assumption is you know for a fact the antenna is located at the police station. I’ve encountered the same assumption(s) in my town-the police station has a cell tower located behind their building and everyone naturally assumes the police are using it for their comms system. But while the police have a backup antenna mounted on the roof of their building (deliberate redundancy in the event they loose their primary transmit/receive site), they use phone lines to connect to their primary antenna site, atop a hill located a couple miles down the road.

My mistake. I was sitting across the street of the police station at a tower location 557 Thompson St

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did whoever set your radio up with the proper service types? That seems to be a common mistake...Mike

lvclark

Did whoever set your radio up with the proper service types? That seems to be a common mistake...Mike

They say they did the upgrade correct but im going to call them again. Just wondering if anyone is in banks county that may be able to help. Thanks again

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This has nothing to do with 'doing the upgrade' (by which I think you mean putting in the NXDN firmware). There are numerous service types that need to be set up, as I understand it. If you don't have the service types you want set, that service will not be heard and you will experience what you have described. It seems an easy step...from the Easier to Read manual...

Mike

lvclark

This has nothing to do with 'doing the upgrade' (by which I think you mean putting in the NXDN firmware). There are numerous service types that need to be set up, as I understand it. If you don't have the service types you want set, that service will not be heard and you will experience what you have described. It seems an easy step...from the Easier to Read manual...

Mike

Yes have those entered. Ty! Now I'm wondering if a trx1 would pick up the freq better.. 🤔

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately not likely. As I understand it, Whistler can't trunk a NXDN system very well, as it doesn't hear and process the control data. It simply decodes the mode. That might work in a slower environment, but may not keep up if it gets busy.

Mike

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I looked at Banks County. The site for Commerce doesn't have any LCN's listed. For it to trunk the LCN's have to be entered. Try running the analyze function on that site and see if you can get the LCN's.

lvclark

I
I looked at Banks County. The site for Commerce doesn't have any LCN's listed. For it to trunk the LCN's have to be entered. Try running the analyze function on that site and see if you can get the LCN's.

found 6 of 8.. even if I just focused on homer or gillsville that does have the lcns.. I get nothing :(

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried different filters? Try setting your filter to auto. Other than that and what the other guys here have told you I don't know what else for you to try.

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to know if anyone around this area is having the same problem
Yes, I use a TRX1 and it's hit or miss. Big thing here If you heard traffic on fire dispatch and the SO dispatch then your programmed right. Banks does a ton through their MDC consoles and cell phones...so not a lot of traffic. All their FD/EMS is still patched through 154.325 because they still voice page. Chances are it's a regular slow night/day in Banks.

My advice is give it a few days.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I'd like to know if anyone around this area is having the same problem

I listened to the Banks County NXDN system on my SDS100 the last time I went shooting at Wilson Shoals WMA in Alto. I can't speak to what issue you may be having, but I can confirm it worked great on my SDS100 in that area a few months ago, so it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.