Banks County update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I didn't see anything about infrastructure in that document, just portables and mobiles (NX200s and NX700s), programming and installation. If they are just migrating to NXDN digital (non trunked) then you can easily monitor them using DSD, or buy an NXDN subscriber radio programmed for receive only.

Of course all bets are off if they enable encryption, which is a mouse click on NXDN, or if they implement NXDN trunking as far as passive monitoring goes.

It's not the end of the world, at least they aren't wasting hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars on some race to waste P25 phase II system they would never fully utilize.

Premium Subscriber
I didn't see anything about infrastructure in that document, just portables and mobiles (NX200s and NX700s), programming and installation. If they are just migrating to NXDN digital (non trunked) then you can easily monitor them using DSD, or buy an NXDN subscriber radio programmed for receive only.

Of course all bets are off if they enable encryption, which is a mouse click on NXDN, or if they implement NXDN trunking as far as passive monitoring goes.

It's not the end of the world, at least they aren't wasting hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars on some race to waste P25 phase II system they would never fully utilize.

Talked with some folks today all Law enforcement will be encrypted. :evil:

radiomanNJ1

They must have some great salespeople to pull the wool over the public safety officals eyes.
P25 is the national standard and multiple vendors make multiple models of radios for portable and mobile use. NXDN and similar offer very little advantage other than telling the buyer it cannot be monitored which is not true. Now they are locked into a particular manufacturer which is the argument people use against Motorola or Harris. At least buying Motorola Trbo you get two talk paths for each channel unlike the NXDN single path.

rapidcharger

So how'd that work out for ya?

Well the last time I went to a meeting, I sure got a lot of pens clicking.
You can tell how agitated the bubbas are by the rapid-fire pen clicking and the constant pouring and drinking of water. Although the reason I went before my board-o-bubbas wasn't over public safety communications. I couldn't get anyone else on board to go with me on that and I don't listen to them anyway. When I want to know what's going on, I just dial 9-1-1 over and over.

country2

Thanks guys for the update.I knew eventually it would happen and sad to see it may be coming to a end as I have been listening to banks county on a scanner since I was 10..lets say over 35 years.

Guess time for another hobby.

SCPD

QRT
I'd wait on it. I've heard many times "were getting new radios and it's non monitorable and encrypted" when it wa just the digital format with icom kenwood and trbo edacs and pro voice. Yeah some do enable security and enc some dont. They like to hear a scanner can't puck this up but aren't told another radio cheaper then this cam pick up the digital format if esk/security/enc isn't enbaled. I'd see what happens before doom and gloom. Unless the region your in is full throttle securing.

country2

Well I had cops at my house (not for me but a teenager issue) last night got talking to one and he said he has not heard anything about it being encrypted so guess well have to wait and see but I betcha it will be encrypted.

rapidcharger

Well now that you asked him about it, it might be.

But you can take some comfort in knowing that even if you lose the ability to monitor them, at least they didn't blow millions of dollars unnecessarily to do it.

country2

Anyone have any new info? I see that...

Since the database got updated it shows transisitioning to a NXDN system and trunk channels 01 453.58125 02 453.76250c 03 460.10625 04 460.40625

Well guess it was fun while it lasted but at least the water dept gets pretty interesting at times! Thanks

Premium Subscriber
Since the database got updated it shows transisitioning to a NXDN system and trunk channels 01 453.58125 02 453.76250c 03 460.10625 04 460.40625

Well guess it was fun while it lasted but at least the water dept gets pretty interesting at times! Thanks

Still on schedule for late 2015, I believe it was pushed back from late 2014 because of the dispatch consoles and an upgrade in the CAD software. Fire dispatch will still be in the clear so they can page out.... 154.325 so you will still hear all that traffic regardless.

nunyax

From Feb. 16:

Banks County's Five Site 35 channel Kenwood NexEdge Digital Trunking system is coming along. Four sites have been installed. Only one to go before we start system optimization, coverage verification and compliance testing which were part of the purchase contract.

In about 3 weeks we will start loading some non public safety department radios on the system and let them start using it.
Estimated go live date is April 11th.

https://www.facebook.com/gunbycomm/

country2

Thanks for the update,I've been busy and have nt even turned scanner on in a couple of weeks to see if its silent now...

Status
Not open for further replies.