• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bao feng uv5r+

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Yes I'm backed up 100% by my job but obviously some people
Are just ignorant . I just want to learn how to program the radio to transmit so when I buy a better one I can do it on my own , not pay someone . I just need the steps on how to do it , I don't care about it needing a sticker of part 90 w.e that means I'm good I won't get in trouble for carrying it , I carry a gun all the time , radio is just in my Car .

The steps are in the link that KC9HI supplied.

And being 100% serious and not trying to be rude, but if you can't understand the linked steps you shouldn't be programming a radio.

You never know until you ask, but maybe your employers radio shop would assist you with this...but for some reason you keep completely rejecting that idea.

westernme963

I just want to learn how to program the radio to transmit so when I buy a better one I can do it on my own , not pay someone .

And just because this radio accepts front panel input, most likely the next 'professional' radio you get won't be so easy to program so saying you want to learn how to program this one so you can program your next one is an invalid idea.

Most likely if you get anything other than an inexpensive radio that is part 90 cert. It will require proprietary software and a dedicated computer setup

jk77

I'm not trying to discourage you, but learning how to program a uv-5r will just mean that you know how to program a uv-5r radio. All radios are different, at least to some degree, and you still wouldn't know how to program a Yaesu, Kenwood, or Icom amateur radio. As pointed out, the Part 90 "professional" radios are generally channelized and programmed by software so that their frequencies can't be changed from the assigned channels.

If you are interested in learning about these radios and would just like to use them in a non-professional manner, why not get your amateur technician license? It is very easy to get, and I'm sure you could find a club in your area that is giving exams somewhere just about every week. You could be on the air legally in no time. But the amateur license would still not cover the bands needed for your work radio.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Just as carrying a gun has regulations and criteria that must be met, so does a transceiver. Interference from a non licensed user or a user unfamiliar with programming and using a radio could mean the death of an innocent person. There are still a number of fire, ems and police that have not migrated to 700/800 mHz. Those in the VHF and UHF portion have and will continue to have interference problems by people not sure how to use a radio properly. This interference can be intentional or not. As some have stated, take the radio to your people that set up the radios and see if the Baofeng can be set up to use on your work system. You have not mentioned the frequencies that are required, [input and output], tones [input and output], etc.. Thus, to ensure you are set up properly, talk to your radio people.

Otto

Yes I'm backed up 100% by my job but obviously some people
Are just ignorant . I just want to learn how to program the radio to transmit so when I buy a better one I can do it on my own , not pay someone . I just need the steps on how to do it , I don't care about it needing a sticker of part 90 w.e that means I'm good I won't get in trouble for carrying it , I carry a gun all the time , radio is just in my Car .

OK, so you're determined, I see, so I'll bite.

First, to program your radio, you'll need programming software. There is the manufacturers software (which I like) and then there is CHIRP. Both are available for free online. Get both, and play around with them, you'll find that the Manufacturers software is designed just like most commercial radio software, whereas CHIRP was designed with Amateur Radio in mind (+ and - offsets rather than direct input, etc.).

Next, you are going to need to find out what kind of system your are trying to program into your CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio). You'll need to know if the system is VHF, or UHF. If the system is 800mhz, return the radio, it will not work for what you want it to. Also, if the system is trunked, Digital,encrypted or any combination of those, the last sentence also applies.

Next, you'll need to know if the system is simplex, or on a repeater (assuming you got past the last step, ie. not trunked, 800mhz, encrypted, digital or any of those combinations). If it's simplex, you need to know the transmit and receive frequency. you might also need to know a CTCSS or DCS tone. This is a code in the radio that unlocks the squelch in your radio as well as the radios you want to talk to.

Now, say the system is on a repeater, this is slightly different from simplex. This means that the radio transmits on one frequency and receives on another frequency in a method called "semi-duplex". To program this kind of system, you'll need the TX /RX freq. and associated CTCSS or DCS tones.

once you know all this information, you enter it into the radio via the software, and upload that code plug to the radio, and if you did everything right, it will work. But you have to do the leg work to find out all the right information needed to program the radio. None of us can give you that information, since most likely none of us know who you work for, or what those frequencies and tones are.

Now remember, if after you have figured all this out, and successfully program the radio, and you indeed do not have permission to transmit on a public safety radio system, you might end up with a CO telling you when to eat, shower, go to the yard and when to get in your cell. ( In other words, you can go to jail for illegal use of a public safety radio system without permission)

YMMV, only you can be responsible for your own radio use. Good Luck!

Otto

You know what? I just realized that you list Los Angeles as you location associated with your screen name.

All of California Dept. Of Corrections use either Motorola Smartnet II, I , or EDACS. Those are all trunked systems, so I know none of your coworkers use a CCR off duty. It's impossible.

Plus, as of when have DOC officers been allowed to carry firearms off duty? I could not even do that when I was a Reserve Police Officer in California. I don't think DOC Officers even have 830PC or 832PC powers in the first place.

I smell a whole pile of BS here.
But go ahead, program the radio, I don't think you'll be able to get on the "channels" you think you are going to. But if you do, you'll most likely get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.