• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng 888S VOX Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashv

I recently purchased headsets with PTT/VOX for my Baofeng 888s

(D Shape Earpiece Headset Boom Mic Vox BAOFENG Radio UV 5R UV 3R 666s 777s 888s | eBay)

After connecting them to the 888s and enabling VOX on my two headsets, it seems one headset is transmitting sound all the time. The other headset seems to only receive and not able to transmit. I guess that means the noise level should be increased, so only voice is transmitted. How do I do that?

The manual does say "adjust VOX Gain level to an appropriate sensitivity to allow smooth transmission" but doesn't say how to do that! Anyone have any idea or has done this before?

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased headsets with PTT/VOX for my Baofeng 888s

(D Shape Earpiece Headset Boom Mic Vox BAOFENG Radio UV 5R UV 3R 666s 777s 888s | eBay)

After connecting them to the 888s and enabling VOX on my two headsets, it seems one headset is transmitting sound all the time. The other headset seems to only receive and not able to transmit. I guess that means the noise level should be increased, so only voice is transmitted. How do I do that?

The manual does say "adjust VOX Gain level to an appropriate sensitivity to allow smooth transmission" but doesn't say how to do that! Anyone have any idea or has done this before?

According to the manual on the miklor.com website, the VOX level can only be set using software. I recommend CHIRP.

BF888 BF888S User Manual - Miklor

Jim KC9HI

ashv

On CHIRP, what option is the vox setting or noise level? It's not the squelch level..

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
On CHIRP, what option is the vox setting or noise level? It's not the squelch level..

It is "VOX Level" and it has a range of 1 to 5.

"Squelch level" is a separate setting with a range of 0 to 9.

Jim KC9HI

ashv

Thanks, VOX is working now. But I have another issue.

After I stop talking, it takes about 3 seconds for the VOX to turn off and have someone else reply. Is there a way I can change that to 1 second or instantly? Is that a microphone/headset thing or a baofeng thing?

Jaxco

It's the nature of the beast, it leaves a tail there in case you pause or speak very s l o w l y

ashv

Is that something to do with the headset or a feature on the baofeng?

Jaxco

It is the way the 'gate' on most vox systems work, you would not want the transmit gate closing on you 2 or 3 times during a sentence because it would have to reset and would clip the beginning of the next transmission as well.

Quick keying on HAM radio is considered impolite anyway... Plus vox will catch every cough, throat clearing, some background noise, etc. anyway. It has its' use but it functions with a timeout to keep it from keying and unkeying at an inappropriate times.

jeffp1031

I'm having a similar issue issue, but I'm not sure how this one was resolved.

I just purchased several BaoFeng BF-888S radios (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECWE4WC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with SUNDELY Over Head headsets (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTU9LOO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

If I switch the headsets to vox (without turning on the vox function on, on the transmitter) the mic stays open the whole time.

If I turn on the vox function on, on the transmitter (with the headset still set on vox) it doesn't transmit at all.

The manual (BF888 BF888S User Manual - Miklor) is not very helpful.

Can anyone help me?!

Status
Not open for further replies.