• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-F8+ Prog. w/chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried to program their F8+ (version BFS297) with chirp. Everything appears to be correct. Chirp reads the radio, I can set up the new Memory page but when I read it back to radio it changes some of the parameters to a default. I have tried individually deleting rows and reinstalling them on the memory page. I then write to radio. When I go back and read from radio the parameters have been changed again. This is nuts, yeah, yeah, I know, it's a cheap radio so I don't want to hear the ****. Any suggestions?

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
people have reported that on channel zero that the radios do that. is it happening on all channels?

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Chirp problems

Yes, I think I'll try uninstalling Chirp and reinstall. I change the file that I download from the radio and save it. When I called it back up to upload it's changed but not the way I wanted. May be a bad Chirp install. I don't think the Baofeng is doing anything to the file. When I call the file back from save, it changes pl freq. to 88.5 or cross mode, or tone mode, basically, I don't know what's going to change until I retrieve from save. I'll think I'll just have to play with it some more.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried to program their F8+ (version BFS297) with chirp. Everything appears to be correct. Chirp reads the radio, I can set up the new Memory page but when I read it back to radio it changes some of the parameters to a default. I have tried individually deleting rows and reinstalling them on the memory page. I then write to radio. When I go back and read from radio the parameters have been changed again. This is nuts, yeah, yeah, I know, it's a cheap radio so I don't want to hear the ****. Any suggestions?

It doesn't appear that you are getting your new values properly "set" in the Memories editor.

For example, if you click on the Tone cell, the row the cell is in becomes highlighted. The second click selects the Tone cell of that row. The third click opens the tone drop-down menu list. Now click on a tone value to choose it. The menu closes and the tone value that you chose shows in the Tone cell for that row. But that value hasn't been selected yet! At this point if you press escape, save the data to a file or upload the data to a radio, the Memories editor will refresh and the setting will revert back to its original value (actually it doesn't revert back, it was actually never changed).

Once you choose the value, you must to press [Enter] or click onto another cell (which is what I usually do) to make the change "stick". A quick way to check to see if you have correctly "set" any new values is to press the [Go] button near to the top left of the Memories editor window. Pressing the [Go] button simulates a save or upload. If after pressing the [Go] button the value reverts back, it wasn't properly set. If it stays, it was.

Virtually every setting on the Memories editor that you choose from a "list" needs to be set in this way or it won't be selected.

Jim KC9HI

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What parameters are not changing? Channel settings, or radio settings?

obamacare

Using Chrip, my F8+ will not save the name of the channel that I name it. On channel mode after the upload to radio it saves everything but just displays the freq instead of what I named the channel.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Using Chrip, my F8+ will not save the name of the channel that I name it. On channel mode after the upload to radio it saves everything but just displays the freq instead of what I named the channel.

CHIRP is saving it OK. You also have to change the Memory Display Format of the radio to the way to want it for each display. The choices are CHANnel, NAME and FREQuency. You want NAME.

If you have them set to FREQ, then the frequency will be displayed even though the radio has the NAME stored for each channel. (I have one display set to NAME and the other set to FREQ).

You can change this on the fly by using the keypad. It is menu 21 (MDF-A) and menu 22 (MDF-B).

Or you can preset it in CHIRP. The settings are on the Settings -> Basic Settings menu (Display Mode (A) and Display Mode (B)).

Jim KC9HI

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I had an error message when I tried to save back to the radio. Any suggestions?

If you have a new radio with N5R-20 firmware and you upload a CHIRP .img file from an earlier firmware version, the radio will stop receiving. CHIRP was updated to prevent this. So if you uploaded an old image and then upgraded CHIRP, you will get an error.

You will have to "recover" your radio using the instructions on the Miklor.com website.

UV5R F8HP Recovery Baofeng Pofung UV5R

Jim KC9HI

MDof2

I have the F8+ with that same firmware version. It acts differently than the other F8+ I bought with a BFB297 firmware My other F8+ has firmware BFB297 and it works as it should.

New to the forum, and hoping to learn a few things. Joined after finding this thread in google search for a similar issue with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.