• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-F8HP Channel mode Offset issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenshu

I just got my BF-F8HP HHT and I set up the two 2 meter repeaters in the area that I would want to monitor when I would be using the HHT. tested it out and everything works great, getting great sound quality, good TX signal, no issues. I go into the menu and store the settings to a memory channel...this is where the trouble starts, in channel mode the Offset and direction that I had put in does not save and every time I exit the menu after changing it manually it kicks it back to neutral direction and 0.000 Mhz offset, thus making the repeaters inaccessible in channel mode. I don't have the USB cable yet(that piece was delayed in the mail) so I have been doing all the programming manually rather than using chirp. Has anyone else had an issue like this with the BF8's, is it an issue that only shows up when manual programming and is eliminated by the use of computer programming, or did I get a bum radio and need to RMA it? Any useful input would be appreciated.

WQPW689

I don't have your model, but a UV-5R, and a UV-82. Am I correct in thinking you're in Channel mode when you try this? Any programming on them such as you're trying can only be done in Frequency mode and then saved to a channel with another program step.

Try this site, has some great Baofeng information, and touches on the issue you're talking about:

Baofeng Pofung Programming Memories UV5R UV82 GT3

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Forget manually programming Baofengs unless you enjoy long, slow root canals. Manually programming Baofeng radios is a non-intuitive PITA. You have to manually clear the channel memory, then save the receive settings, then save the transmit settings/offsets, all in separate steps. It's a stupid and painful process that will make you want to inflict gratuitous pain and suffering on the moron firmware engineers who designed the process.

In contrast, programming via CHIRP is very simple once you understand these caveats:

1. You have to download the settings from the radio first. Different firmware versions are not 100% compatible with each other. the first thing you should do is download the default settings and save the file as a CHIRP image with a filename something like BF-F8HP_FirmwareVersion. Once you have this known good baseline, you can modify it and save copies, but always keep your original config file.

2. You have to manually set the first and last channel memories to 0 and 127.

3. The firmware version is under the settings tab, Other Settings sub-tab, Firmware message 1. If it happens to be "N5R-30", there is a bug in which turning the key beep (not roger beep) OFF completely disables receive.

zenshu

Thanks for the replies guys, the BF-F8HP's manunal is actually not that terrible and I enjoy playing with electronics so I had fun with my first set of programming steps just going through the menus and seeing whats what. I have the manual programming down, the issue is once I save the programmed settings from freq mode the offset and freq direction get lost so it only saves the freq itself nothing else. My USB cable should be in today so I will try programming through chirp and see if it holds the offset and direction and CTCSS tone's that way. If not I guess I just got a POS and will have to return it for a replacement and try again, which since this is my first HAM radio will mean another few weeks of not being able to get on the air with my new license and test the waters. I am really hoping that this is just an issue with manual programming that causes the additional info to get cleared out so that I wont have to deal with the RMA process....I can deal with having to manual program in freq mode if I am on the move and not being able to save those repeaters to a channel. as long as I can get my local repeater networks saved to a channel so I can switch back and forth depending on which mountain I have LOS with.

zenshu

WQPW689 thanks for that lint too BTW. That helped me getting the offset loaded correctly. I was able to get everything working in freq mode using the provided instructions but that link you gave me provided the extra steps to get channel mode to work. I will probably delete one of the repeaters just to see how it works with Chirp when my cable comes in today but this saved me the hassle of worrying about what to do if I need to reprogram my radio for a new repeater and don't have computer access for some reason.

zenshu

Thanks for the heads up on the FW version with the bug jonwienke I just so happen to have N5R-30 when I loaded chirp up. I guess lucky for me I like key beep on my radios.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
At least if you shut off the receiver with the bug, you can recover it by turning key beep back on.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I just got my BF-F8HP HHT and I set up the two 2 meter repeaters in the area that I would want to monitor when I would be using the HHT. tested it out and everything works great, getting great sound quality, good TX signal, no issues. I go into the menu and store the settings to a memory channel...this is where the trouble starts, in channel mode the Offset and direction that I had put in does not save and every time I exit the menu after changing it manually it kicks it back to neutral direction and 0.000 Mhz offset, thus making the repeaters inaccessible in channel mode. I don't have the USB cable yet(that piece was delayed in the mail) so I have been doing all the programming manually rather than using chirp. Has anyone else had an issue like this with the BF8's, is it an issue that only shows up when manual programming and is eliminated by the use of computer programming, or did I get a bum radio and need to RMA it? Any useful input would be appreciated.
The UV-5R and variants like the BF-F8HP do not store shifts and offsets in memory channels. Instead the RX frequency and TX frequency are stored. Because of this, it takes to "writes" with menu 27 to program a channel where the TX frequency is different from the RX frequency.

From VFO A...

Program you repeater parameters with the RX frequency, shift direction, offset and CTCSS tone.

With the RX frequency showing, write this to an empty memory using menu 27
(if the voice prompt is enabled you will hear "receiving memory")

Tap the [* SCAN] key to put the radio in "reverse" mode

With the TX frequency showing, write this to the same memory as above with menu 27
(if the voice prompt is enabled you will hear "transmitting memory")

Baofeng Pofung UV5R Programming Flow Chart UV-5R

Memories with the TX frequency different from the RX frequency (including odd split, cross-band and TX inhibited memories (requires a programming cable and software)) are indicated by a "+-" in the upper status display.

Reference for BF-F8HP Menus

Jim KC9HI

Nimravus

I am having this issue with my BF-F8HP. I programmed the radio using the software but it's not communicating with the repeaters. Offset resets to 000.000 every time. I have the Rx and Tx programmed right with the correct PL. still does not work. I don't have this problem with my UV-5R and a few other radios I have. I'm about to return this and chalk it up to new radio software bug.

Nimravus

Must be a software bug/glitch. I cannot get the BF-F8HP to work with offsets also I am using software to program and the Tx and Rx freqs are correct along with the PL. I don't have any issues on any other Baofeng radios I have.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I am having this issue with my BF-F8HP. I programmed the radio using the software but it's not communicating with the repeaters. Offset resets to 000.000 every time. I have the Rx and Tx programmed right with the correct PL. still does not work. I don't have this problem with my UV-5R and a few other radios I have. I'm about to return this and chalk it up to new radio software bug.

The BF-F8HP does not use offsets in memory channels. None of the radios based on the UV-5R do.

For this reason, menu 25 (SFT-D) and menu 26 (OFFSET) do not function in MR (channel) mode.

To test your programming set the Memory Display Format to your top display (menu 21 [MDF-A]) or bottom display (menu 21 [MDF-B]) to FREQ so you can see the frequencies programmed into the each memory channel. Tune to the memory channel that you want to check into this display. You will see the RX frequency in the display. It should match the frequency that the repeater transmits on. Then tap the [*] key to enable "reverse" mode (an "R" will show in the upper status display). You will now see the TX frequency. It should match the frequency that the repeater listens on. Tap the [*] key again to exit "reverse" mode. And finally you can check menu 13 (T-CTCS) to see the frequency of the CTCSS tone that is programmed into this memory.

You review the Reference for BF-F8HP Menus to see what each menu does and in what modes it is able to function.

Jim KC9HI

Nimravus

Thank you for your response. I checked and the Rx and Tx and CTCSS are all set correctly. On the display, there is +- on the display... does that mean anything? It still does not work. I don't have this issue with my UV-5R, Puxing and Kenwood radios.... this is the first time I have had problems with programming a radio.

Again, thanks for your response.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your response. I checked and the Rx and Tx and CTCSS are all set correctly. On the display, there is +- on the display... does that mean anything? It still does not work. I don't have this issue with my UV-5R, Puxing and Kenwood radios.... this is the first time I have had problems with programming a radio.

Again, thanks for your response.

Because this radio doesn't use offsets in MR mode, the "+-" indicates that the RX frequency and TX frequency are different (and in a repeater, odd-split, cross-band or TX inhibited channel).

I've heard a few reports where these radios don't behave properly when set to HIGH power. Try this...

Tap the [#] key to temporarily toggle the channel into the LOW and/or MID power levels and see if it will work on either or both or those power levels.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.