• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-F8HP Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn1095

I recently purchased two BF-F8HP radios. I wanted to program them both with CHIRP. I downloaded the 1st radio's image, saved it as a backup, made my changes and saved the modified image separately, then uploaded the modified image. The 1st radio was working fine.

As I was preparing to upload to the 2nd radio, I decided to add another frequency to the image file. I uploaded this to the 2nd radio, no problems. I then uploaded the new image to the 1st radio. I turned the 1st radio off, then unplugged the programming cable. When I turned the 1st radio on again, it immediately started crashing, attempting to restart, crashing again, repeat.

If I turn the radio on with the volume knob less than halfway, the radio will start up, but the double-beep it does on startup is a little distorted. It seems to operate normally otherwise. Turning the radio on with the volume knob over halfway results in the infinite crash/restart loop.

I tried to do a menu 40 restart, that had no effect. Reuploading the factory image file also had no effect. I was unable to find any info regarding this problem via Google or forum search. Anybody have any ideas?

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I have a few BF-F9 radios. I can tell you that you
cannot download Radio1, make changes, upload them
into Radio1 and then also into Radio2.
Here is how I do it, using CHIRP
1. Radio1 download from radio
2. Make changes
3. Save file (Radio1.img)
4. Upload back into Radio1
If you want Radio1 and Radio2 to programmed the same, do this:
1. Radio2 download from radio
2. Save file as (Radio2.img)
3. Go to File>Import
4. Import from Radio1 (ie. Radio1.img)
5. Import all the channels from Radio1 into Radio2's channel list
6. Save file and Upload back into Radio2

This will work with the channel list only and not
for the radio's parameters. Hope this helps.

Also, to keep track of radios.
In the Settings Tab on the left of the screen
Go to the 3rd Option down "Other Settings"
In the "Power-On Message 1" text block, Enter the Radio # here
(On my radios I have this set as RADIO 1, RADIO 2, RADIO 3, etc)
I save my image (.img) files to the same text Radio1.img, Radio2.img, etc

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The radios are probably running slightly different firmware versions. Uploading an image from one radio to a radio with a different firmware version can brick it.

If the firmware is IDENTICAL between both radios, you can load the same image into both. But if there is any difference at all, you cannot.

Finn1095

Thanks for the quick replies. Just to clarify:

1. The original image file was from Radio 1. It was saved as a backup before modifying anything.

2. I then modified Radio 1's file, and uploaded it to Radio 1. It worked fine.

3. I did NOT download Radio 2's original image file. I added one frequency to the modified Radio 1 file, and uploaded that to Radio 2. Radio 2 is working perfectly.

4. I then uploaded the newly modified Radio 1 file to Radio 1. Then it started this crashing problem. Nothing from Radio 2 was ever transferred to Radio 1. Doing a factory reset and uploading the original Radio 1 image file had no effect.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Try doing the radio reset a few times. Make sure you
select the "ALL" option when doing the reset. I think I
had to reset my radios 3 or 4 times before they worked
correctly.

If that doesn't work try this:
Start CHIRP
Hook up the radio
DO NOT LOAD an image file
Just download the data from the radio
Let CHIRP open the data
Go through all of the information looking for anything that doesn't look right (blank fields, strange looking characters, etc.)
(You may also want to try deleting all of the channels you programmed and just try going with the defaults)
If everything looks ok, try uploading that same data back into the radio

These radios are sometimes very flaky and temperamental. It's possible that something
got screwy when you uploaded the other radio's data.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.