• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng BF-F8TD - Scanning frequencies stops on NOAA ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscovs

Premium Subscriber
Hello friends, could use a bit of help here. I am not an amateur operator (yet), just want to scan for available frequencies, not talk (duplex set to off).

So I just bought a pair of Baofeng BF-F8TD 8 watt HAM radio/scanner/walkie talkies. I only want to scan and receive the following for safety awareness for the FAM.
  • Local Police, Fire, EMS and other emergency good-to-knows
  • NOAA weather
  • FRS,GMRS,MURS
  • Area repeaters to hear the HAM pros broadcasting (local repeaters pulled from Radioreference.com with subscription)
Unfortunately all I am picking up is NOAA radio WX1PA7. I've used CHIRP to upload these entries into my radio, scanned for channels in different places while driving and it just scans in a loop until I'm back to NOAA radio. I am attaching my CHIRP entries loaded onto my radio, including some from the settings tab.

Any suggestions as to why I cannot get any of the bullet-pointed broadcasts above? I've attached a zipped Word doc with CHIRP entries as they are today.

I appreciate your input and feedback. I'll actually Paypal someone a fair support fee if they can fix this thing. I'm about to throw it in a wood chipper.

Thanks!
Chriscovs
Email - covs@yahoo.com

Attachments

• CHIRP_entries_BAOFENG_BF-F8.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 30

Cognomen

Try locking out the NOAA channel(s). NOAA is continuously broadcasting, so if there is no traffic on the other channels at the exact time you start scanning, your radio will stop on the first busy NOAA channel it finds.

Btw, if your duplex is set to OFF, then you will be able to transmit on the frequency you're tuned to.

nd5y

Baofeng radios don't have banks or zones.
You can't lock out or nuisance delete channels from the keypad.
If you manually add a channel via the keypad or programming software then the channel is automatically in the scan list.
You can only add or remove channels from the scan list in programming software.
In CHIRP you have to make sure all the memory editor columns are visible and enable Skip (S) for each channel that you don't want to scan.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
And keep in mind that, depending on where you live, many of those frequencies might not be very active. Ham repeaters are (usually) most busy during morning and afternoon drive times. Also remember that, when scanning, the radio samples each frequency for only a brief time before moving on. If there is no traffic heard during that brief time, the radio continues scanning. Finally, the more frequencies to be scanned, the longer each cycle takes... and the Baofengs scan very slowly!

chriscovs

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all your replies. I think I need to rephrase my question/concern. Let's take NOAA out of the equation, being it is the only station my radio scanner will pick up.

Since I'm using CHIRP to import from stock config and other CHIRP preloads + pulling common RadioReference frequencies from my County, why can I not hear what the station it stops on? only noise (with green light indicating a good frequency grab).

Shouldn't an 8 watt Baofeng BF-F8TD be able to grab basic frequencies? Above I've attached the zip file with my configs. Can someone possibly have a look at that to rule out (or in) a possible programming problem?

Thanks much,
Chriscovs

Last edited:

nd5y

What kind of noise? Maybe what you think is noise is digital transmissions which the Baofeng isn't capable of receiving.
Post a link to the county database page that you are trying to use.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Shouldn't an 8 watt Baofeng BF-F8TD be able to grab basic frequencies? Above I've attached the zip file with my configs. Can someone possibly have a look at that to rule out (or in) a possible programming problem?
A few comments...
#1 The TX power rating of your radio has NO bearing on its ability to receive. I would also suggest that you disable any ability to TX before you could possibly interfere with legal users. Hint: the Duplex setting in CHIRP does not disable the transmit capability;
#2 Regarding your listed frequencies, the FRS frequencies are all low-power channels and it's not likely that you would hear distant users, especially if you're only relying on the small antenna on your handheld;
#3 The listed GMRS frequencies are duplicates of some of the listed FRS frequencies and do not include any of the main GMRS repeater channels;
#4 Many of your frequencies show TSQL or DTCS values. Since such settings are not required for RX only, you should set every channel to CSQ (carrier squelch) so that you would hear anything on that frequency;
#5 Since I am not familiar with your area, I cannot comment on any of your local ham repeaters or public safety (PS) frequencies. I did, however, notice that most of the apparent PS frequencies are VHF or UHF and, while they might still be active, be aware that many PS agencies are abandoning their older radio systems in favor of larger countywide or areawide trunked radio systems, some of which might be digital.
#6 And speaking of digital, your Baofeng is not capable of receiving any type of digital signal.
#7 Rather than blindly downloading lists of frequencies, my suggestion would be to seek out other radio hobbyists in your area to confirm active frequencies of your interest;
#8 Finally, don't expect too much from the receiver in the Baofeng. They can often be overloaded by strong signals not at all related to what you wish to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.