• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng DM-5R EXPLAINED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone on the forum
I made a YouTube video yesterday explaining the Baofeng DM-5R. I thought I'd share it on here because I'm sure some of you must be confused about this radio. Even the people selling it are!
Here is the link:
https://goo.gl/FIoKC2

Hope this helps some of you to understand this radio. It's not really such a bad radio like the reviews have been saying, it has just been mis-sold to people.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Nicely done sir! That it has been grossly misrepresented and misreported is somewhat of an understatement... :wink:

I would however not even go so far as to say that it is even close to being a nice radio. Even when in strictly analog mode it's spectral purity is non-existent. There are third order harmonics that are nearly as strong as the primary frequency! Second, fourth and fifth order harmonics are well beyond acceptable limits as well.

If one's goal is to have a "splatter gun" it will achieve that with very well! :roll:

I ordered one DM-5R + for evaluation and ran it though my test routines thoroughly. After four days of testing, I requested an RMA for a refund. Since the only source at that juncture was Radioddity, the process took seven emails, then finally having to initiate a PayPal Dispute. Three weeks later I finally got my refund.

Thanks both of you!
Yeah I don't know anything about the actual RF performance of the radio, but I'll take your word for it, as what you say seems very believable. I think probably a lot of these cheaply made Chinese radios have very poor RF performance. I won't be buying one myself, but that's mainly because I don't really need any more DMR radios.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Hello everyone on the forum
I made a YouTube video yesterday explaining the Baofeng DM-5R. I thought I'd share it on here because I'm sure some of you must be confused about this radio. Even the people selling it are!
Here is the link:
https://goo.gl/FIoKC2

Hope this helps some of you to understand this radio. It's not really such a bad radio like the reviews have been saying, it has just been mis-sold to people.

Good video. Thank you for taking the time and effort to create it.

seth21w

Question can this radio scan dmr channels and analog channels together and be heard together? Being that it's basically only good as a reciever and analog transceiver.

Last edited:
Question can this radio scan dmr channels and analog channels together and be heard together? Being that it's basically only good as a reciever and analog transceiver.
I would assume so, but I don't actually own the radio so I can't try. It looks like it could from the programming software though.

KD8DVR

I'd never buy a transceiver unless I could use all aspects of the radio properly... but I imagine, it would be good to listen with.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in purchasing one and would like your opinions on it's ability to perform properly for my usage:

Receive Only
UHF T-Band Up to 512 MHz analog + DMR UHF + VHF
DMR monitoring of single frequency/channel systems
i.e. 452.85 MHz Slot 1 CC 10 Group 1100
Mostly parked on one UHF and one VHF frequency at a time
Infrequent light scanning (less than 10 channels at a time)
Dual Watch

Any opinions/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich C

Status
Not open for further replies.