• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

bAOFENG DM-5R MESSAGE SENDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

IN THE SOFTWARE THERE IS A TAB THAT YOU CAN PRELOAD CANNED MESSAGES. In the DM-5r manual there is nothing said about messages. Downloaded the pdf file on the dm-5r manual, searched text , then message. Nothing showed up. What do you do to send messages??

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Yes, they are ham radios, as well as commercial radios. They are fully functional in analog mode, but are extremely limited in digital mode.

They are only compatible with another DM-5R radio in digital Tier 1 mode. They are not compatible even with other dPMR radios.

Although the claim has been made that it will support Tier 2 with the firmware upgrade, the fact is that even with that applied it will only "work" in Tier 2 on Slot 1, which is completely inadequate to make it a fully compliant DMR Tier 2 radio.

Just like the MD-380 and the Retevis clone, there is no AMBE+ chip present. They are using a software defined AMBE+ encoder/decoder. Unfortunately for BaoFeng, the hardware they are using simply hasn't the "horsepower" to perform the tasks demanded, and Tier 2 will never be wholly enabled.

Nota bene: I owned a DM-5R for several weeks so I could test it thoroughly here in my lab. It took nearly a full month to process my refund request, and then only after having to escalate via a PayPal dispute process. I never did figure out how the text messaging worked, if it even does work for that matter.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
QRZ thinks they are and I also have one too.

Baofeng DM-5R DMR Radio Test and Review | QRZ Now – Ham Radio News!

kb0vwg
wqoi992

It's marketed as a radio that will do full band. Last time I checked, most, if not all amateur radio products were restricted to the bands amateurs could legally transmit on. Just because QRZ reviews it and you own one, doesn't mean it's an amateur radio.

Any further discussion would be off-topic.

Since you own one, perhaps you could help the OP?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Generic questions on how to use the radio would belong in Budget & Entry Level Transceivers, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.