• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng DM-5R Plus - Can't Receive Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Using a Baofeng DM-5R Plus, programmed with the supplied software application: CPS_5R. (Chirp does not support this radio???..yet.)

Analog vhf-highband and uhf stuff is fine.

But, not having any amateur DMR repeaters anywhere within a 75 mile range to listen to, I decided to use the radio to listen to a few area public safety agencies who have migrated to DMR (Tier-2), to try and get my feet wet in this format.

-------------------------------

Before anyone comments, YES I know the DM-5R Plus does not support proper Tier-2 operation and cannot access independently TS-2, and therefore has been banned on Amateur repeaters. Not an issue here, as I am only trying to listen to anything I can.

One of my local PD?s is on 461.17500 MHz, Color Code 5, Time Slot 1, Talkgroup 10001. (see: Staunton City, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference )

Using the programming application (CP_5R Version 1.0) from Baofeng, I create a digital channel, program the receive frequency (461.17500), and as a precaution I program the transmit frequency for something in the 70cm amateur band, and go through their convoluted process to link in the talk GROUP LIST to this channel. (See attached images in PDF)

On an analog FM receiver, I hear digital noise on the frequency.
On the DM-5R Plus radio, I see a green receive indication light, and a signal on the little bar graph signal strength indicator, but no audio is heard in the speaker.

What am I doing wrong ???

I may have worked for 34 years in two-way radio as an Installer, Technician, and lastly as a P-25 System Engineer. But this is killing me ! :( :( :(

Last edited:

mescalero

Using a Baofeng DM-5R Plus, programmed with the supplied software application: CPS_5R. (Chirp does not support this radio???..yet.)

Analog vhf-highband and uhf stuff is fine.

But, not having any amateur DMR repeaters anywhere within a 75 mile range to listen to, I decided to use the radio to listen to a few area public safety agencies who have migrated to DMR (Tier-2), to try and get my feet wet in this format.

Before anyone comments, YES I know the DM-5R Plus does not support proper Tier-2 operation and cannot access independently TS-2, and therefore has been banned on Amateur repeaters. Not an issue here, as I am only trying to listen to anything I can.

One of my local PD?s is on 461.17500 MHz, Color Code 5, Time Slot 1, Talkgroup 10001. (see: Staunton City, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference )

Using the programming application (CP_5R Version 1.0) from Baofeng, I create a digital channel, program the receive frequency (461.17500), and as a precaution I program the transmit frequency for something in the 70cm amateur band, and go through their convoluted process to link in the talk GROUP LIST to this channel. (See attached images in PDF)

On an analog FM receiver, I hear digital noise on the frequency.
On the DM-5R Plus radio, I see a green receive indication light, and a signal on the little bar graph signal strength indicator, but no audio is heard in the speaker.

What am I doing wrong ???

I may have worked for 34 years in two-way radio as an Installer, Technician, and lastly as a P-25 System Engineer. But this is killing me ! :( :( :(
set contact name

kb4cvn

Silent Key
"set contact name"

I thought the Contact Name was to alias a user's numeric ID to display a alphanumeric tag: Joe or WA1ABC.

I have:
CC = 5
SLOT = 1
GROUP LIST = List1 (which has DMR Talkgroup 10001 already in it)

I will add: CONTACTS = GROUP10001

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
I wonder it part of my problem is understanding of terms on my part...

In my experience, GROUP LIST is a list of conventional or trunked talkgroups being used to assign digital voice communications.

CONTACTS is nothing more than a convenience list for the user, to translate the numerical ID number for each user and translate it into something more meaningful, such as alphanumeric name tag, which is displayed on the radio. IE: DISPATCH, JOE SMITH, UNIT 5455, DESK SGT, etc.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Contact specifies which recipient (group ID or radio ID) that will be called when the user keys the mic.

Group List specifies which talkgroup(s) will break squelch when the radio hears them.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Contact List serves two purposes:

1. Define Talk Groups by name and number as "Group Call"
  2. Define User List by name and number as "Private Call"
upnYB.jpg

bearsck

Tier 2

The Ham radio networks use Tier 2 DMR. The DM5R is only Tier 1 DMR. There may be an upgrade to the radio out there that will allow it to do Tier 2. PS. I am not a regular on forums so if this issue was brought up already my apologies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The Ham radio networks use Tier 2 DMR. The DM5R is only Tier 1 DMR. There may be an upgrade to the radio out there that will allow it to do Tier 2. PS. I am not a regular on forums so if this issue was brought up already my apologies.
This and the one other thread aren't all that long.

The radio is currently a half-crippled version of "Tier II" that is only capable of sort-of working on Slot 1. Unfortunately, it bleeds into Slot 2 at the same time making it totally unsuitable for use on any amateur DMR repeater. :twisted:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Ham radio networks use Tier 2 DMR. The DM5R is only Tier 1 DMR. There may be an upgrade to the radio out there that will allow it to do Tier 2.

There is no update to the radio that will allow proper Tier II operation. It is hardware limited to broadcasting on both timeslots, which means it cannot do Tier I or Tier II properly. And this has been discussed numerous times before.

Have you verified the colour code and talkgroup information? If you just took it from radioreference it could be wrong or outdated. Having the wrong group or colour code would be the easiest explanation for not receiving anything.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
This is going to be an issue I think. Heard several Hams talking the other day and they purchased these real cheap radios to get on DMR repeaters when they travel into areas with them.

They have no idea they don't work. They also have no idea how DMR works. They were talking about what CTCSS codes to put in to access the DMR repeaters.

On top of that they are telling all their Ham friends to get them too.

There is an update that supposedly allows normal operation but frankly I wouldn't even try it.

teufler

don't have any DMR ham repeaters in area, but as a listening too, for Tier 2 commercial, works very good. I use them for simplex at various events, like ham fests or exercises or shadowing at some event, they work good. My TYT 390 is better but the DM-5R'S, got three of them, and once I got the programming figured out, they are good, fort what I am using. There are several DMR systems that are commercial, the radios decode them okay.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
They have no idea they don't work. They also have no idea how DMR works. They were talking about what CTCSS codes to put in to access the DMR repeaters.
And most of then talking ****.
The say Digital is rubbis because the dont understand or dont want to understand how it works.
I have a lot of Amateur Hobbyist in my Area the say Digital is rubbish and never try it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is an update that supposedly allows normal operation but frankly I wouldn't even try it.

The "Plus" radios already have the update. It doesn't stop the radio from transmitting on both timeslots--that is a hardware problem that CANNOT be fixed with a firmware update.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
don't have any DMR ham repeaters in area, but as a listening too, for Tier 2 commercial, works very good. I use them for simplex at various events, like ham fests or exercises or shadowing at some event, they work good. My TYT 390 is better but the DM-5R'S, got three of them, and once I got the programming figured out, they are good, fort what I am using. There are several DMR systems that are commercial, the radios decode them okay.

I suppose that would work okay but like the Hams I was listening to here imagine all these people who are getting them thinking they are just peachy for an entry level radio into DMR.

Apparently one Ham is recommending them to others who are now buying them and recommending them as well and all are just waiting to get down to Roanoke or into WV to use them on DMR repeaters in those locations.

Not a good situation anyway you look at it and couple that with them having no idea about DMR, how it works or how to use it and.......well......

Status
Not open for further replies.