• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng DM-5R Usage in Receive Only Mode Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in purchasing one and would like your opinions on it's ability to perform properly for my usage:

Receive Only
UHF T-Band 470 to 512 MHz analog
450 To 470 MHz UHF DMR
VHF DMR
DMR monitoring of single frequency/channel systems
i.e. 452.85 MHz Slot 1 CC 10 Group 1100
Mostly parked on one UHF and one VHF frequency at a time
Infrequent light scanning (less than 10 channels at a time)
Dual Watch

I am aware of the transmitting on both slots issue, but I do not that it will be a factor for my intended usage.

Any opinions/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich C

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Since I didn't receive any replies, I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but here is what I learned after purchasing a DM-5R Plus:

Receive Only - Yes, obviously
UHF T-Band 470 to 512 MHz analog - Yes
450 To 470 MHz UHF DMR - Yes
VHF DMR - Yes
DMR monitoring of single frequency/channel systems - Yes
i.e. 452.85 MHz Slot 1 CC 10 Group 1100 - Yes
Mostly parked on one UHF and one VHF frequency at a time - Yes
Infrequent light scanning (less than 10 channels at a time) - Yes, scanning 30 at present
Dual Watch - Sort of, dual watch only works if both channels are analog. Page 13 in the manual.

So, here's the deal. If you're looking for a cheap dual-band radio that can receive DMR on both bands and UHF-T, it's a cheap way to go ($50 shipped on ebay). It doesn't replace my scanner with DMR capability, but it beats carrying around a VHF MD-380 and a UHF MD-390 for receive-only and is much cheaper than a DMR capable scanner.

On the software side, the CPS is not as good as CHIRP for my UV-5R, but as of right now, CHIRP has not been created for the DM-5R. Also, RT Systems does not have software for it, but they do have a survey page, where you can request software to be created for your DMR radio.

Take Care,

Rich

nd5y

I have read that these radios are not 100% DMR tier II compliant and transmit continuously instead of only on one time slot.
What happens if the DMR repeater you are receiving has transmissions on both time slots at the same time? Does it still receive properly?

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I have not experienced a repeater transmitting on both slots simultaneously yet. In the CPS you have the option of selecting either slot 1 or slot 2. In my MD-380 & MD-390, I have two channels programmed for each repeater, one for slot 1 and one for slot 2. What I listen to has infrequent transmissions, unlike a ham repeater where there could be multiple users at once. I mostly listen to hospitals, schools, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.