• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng DMRs - Alphanumberic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Does anyone know if the Baofeng DMRs (DM-1701, DM-1702, DM-1801, DM-X) allow alphanumeric tagging of the channels (or whatever the equivalent is called in the DMR world)?

Some ancillary questions:

• Besides the ones I listed above, are there any other Baofeng DMRs?
  • Which Baofeng DMR seems to be the best and why?
  • Are there any other cheap (Chinese or otherwise) DMRs out there worth mentioning (I want to buy a cheap one before spending any extra money on a good one)?

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Yes to alphanumeric channel tagging. Also, the Baofeng DM-1801 is a close cousin to the Radioddity GD-77.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I get it....buy yourself a cheap DMR radio to see if you like it?

Just do yourself a favor and get yourself an Anytone 878. Not cheap, but by far the best DMR radio you will ever use (outside of the commercial Motos and such).

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Does the Anytone 878 do analog, also?

Yessir! DMR and Analog dual band. They're a little over $200, unfortunately. I get that you're looking for a cheaper one to start, and if that's the case, any of those you list would probably work fine. You also have the TYT UV-380, which isn't bad, the Radioddity GD-77 which also isn't bad, especially with the Open Firmware. If you're really looking to get cheap, the Baofeng DM-5R (the new ones are Tier II) are around $50.

Any of those radios will get you into DMR, and certainly give you a taste of what it's all about. On the ham bands, my XPR7550e is usually my go-to HT, just due to the RX Audio Leveling. It's a godsend on the ham bands. But my Anytone 878 is absolutely my favorite radio as far as features are concerned.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I just won a bid on eBay for a new AnyTone AT-D878UV for $177.50. It came out to about $200.00 with taxes and shipping. It arrives on July 2.

I figured if I was going to spend about half that on a "cheap" one, I might as well just get a better one. I did see some used Motorola DMRs around the same price, but I wasn't sure about the ability to program a Motorola. I wish I did. I like Motorola radios -- I have several.

Thank you for all your advice.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if the 500 MHz band is in use in your area, but if you get a chance, could you please post how the unit receives in the 500 - 512 MHz range? That is the reason that I went with the GD-77, because I need to receive 500 MHz public safety and listen to 450-470 DMR.

Good luck with the new radio.

Thanks, Rich

I just won a bid on eBay for a new AnyTone AT-D878UV for $177.50. It came out to about $200.00 with taxes and shipping. It arrives on July 2.

I figured if I was going to spend about half that on a "cheap" one, I might as well just get a better one. I did see some used Motorola DMRs around the same price, but I wasn't sure about the ability to program a Motorola. I wish I did. I like Motorola radios -- I have several.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if the 500 MHz band is in use in your area, but if you get a chance, could you please post how the unit receives in the 500 - 512 MHz range? That is the reason that I went with the GD-77, because I need to receive 500 MHz public safety and listen to 450-470 DMR.

Good luck with the new radio.

Thanks, Rich

I haven't noticed any glaring issues with mine on those frequencies. Seems to receive fine. But there is really only one frequency I ever use up there (506 MHz).

Congratulations!! I think you're going to be happy, honestly. The thing I think you're going to like about the 878 over the Motos is that you have a VFO, and can change a ton of settings via the menu. You can do things like change talkgroups on the fly, use talkgroups you don't have programmed into your radio, etc. Like if we are having a conversation and I ask you to move to TAC310, even though you don't have that talkgroup in the radio, you can key it up.

The Motos are easy to program for DMR, but the hammy features are really lacking. You're going to need a computer if you want to make a change, because it's not really something you can do on the fly with the Motos.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. My main concern is that the radio can be programmed to receive up to 512 MHz. Most DMR HTs only go to 470 or 480 MHz, which is why I got rid of my TYT 380 & 390. Up until now, I thought that the GD-77 was the best option. Now, I want to look at the AT-D878UV.

I haven't noticed any glaring issues with mine on those frequencies. Seems to receive fine. But there is really only one frequency I ever use up there (506 MHz).

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. My main concern is that the radio can be programmed to receive up to 512 MHz. Most DMR HTs only go to 470 or 480 MHz, which is why I got rid of my TYT 380 & 390. Up until now, I thought that the GD-77 was the best option. Now, I want to look at the AT-D878UV.

Straight out of the box, no, it does not. However, there are multiple modes you can run. I run mine on Mode 14 (Maintenance Mode) and it covers up to 520 MHz. The mode is easy to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.