• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng dr-1801uv 2023 version review

seth21w

I have had this radio for about 2 weeks and so far its working much better than anticipated for 60 dollars. I mainly use it to scan dmr channels the reception of analog and digital is very good with stock antenna! Scanning speed is faster than anytone, which I've had and was extremely slow in comparison especially for the price! Wish it were compatible with open gd77 but really not needed for myself for what I use it for but would be nice to have. I am going to keep this one I think, I did find it a little tricky to connect win 11 to the provided cable and took a while to find the correct software to download but once I got them talking programming was pretty easy. Only thing I've found as a bug when going from zone 1 to 2 the radio reboots itself when going from 2 to 1 but it doesn't have any other bugs other than spelling errors in pps. For anyone who might say they aren't scanners I use them as such because my scanners although have dmr capability I've found the best reception in these type and I just like testing new radios and I have alot of scanners lol.

Cyberider

I have several BF-1801's that I got about 4 years ago from R & L for $49.95 each postpaid. As you noted, very similar to the GD-77 and even takes the same batteries. I have 4 of them so I can monitor both time slots on two repeaters and not miss any of the action. Too bad there's not an 800MHz version so I could monitor other stuff since my scanners don't do DMR.

KQ4GMW

I’ve gotten one of the DR-1801uv‘s and am having a time figuring out the best way to program it. I have all the software and the correct cables, but the usability of the software compared to chirp or RT Systems is lacking. Do you have any insight?

Rabid716

I have had this radio for about 2 weeks and so far its working much better than anticipated for 60 dollars. I mainly use it to scan dmr channels the reception of analog and digital is very good with stock antenna! Scanning speed is faster than anytone, which I've had and was extremely slow in comparison especially for the price! Wish it were compatible with open gd77 but really not needed for myself for what I use it for but would be nice to have. I am going to keep this one I think, I did find it a little tricky to connect win 11 to the provided cable and took a while to find the correct software to download but once I got them talking programming was pretty easy. Only thing I've found as a bug when going from zone 1 to 2 the radio reboots itself when going from 2 to 1 but it doesn't have any other bugs other than spelling errors in pps. For anyone who might say they aren't scanners I use them as such because my scanners although have dmr capability I've found the best reception in these type and I just like testing new radios and I have alot of scanners lol.

Seth - are you still pleased with the DR-1801UV for conventional DMR scanning? Where did you purchase it from? I'm considering the same radio and wanted to check back in with you to see if your opinion has changed on it. Looking for a fast scanning Tier 2 DMR just like this one. Thanks!

seth21w

Seth - are you still pleased with the DR-1801UV for conventional DMR scanning? Where did you purchase it from? I'm considering the same radio and wanted to check back in with you to see if your opinion has changed on it. Looking for a fast scanning Tier 2 DMR just like this one. Thanks!
Yes very much so it's fantastic and comes pre set to promiscuous mode enabled, I bought from eBay for around 65 dollars, I've bought 2 so far and happy with both. Scan is as fast or faster than the md380 and very much faster than the anytone radios. Also has very good reception on analog and dmr uhf and vhf, also sorry so long to reply back. Think the seller was csyztera99 but many sellers are selling for around the same price I just try to find one shipping within the us.

seth21w

I’ve gotten one of the DR-1801uv‘s and am having a time figuring out the best way to program it. I have all the software and the correct cables, but the usability of the software compared to chirp or RT Systems is lacking. Do you have any insight?
It's finicky at first but I caught on quick its about as hard as tyt software and anytone.

Premises2972

Hey,
I just bought this radio and I cannot hear anything on the DMR side at all! I can transmit and I hear DMR transmissions on my baofeng, but can't get any DMR audio on my actual radio. Also where did you get the programming software? The DR1801UV software found here (Download) doesn't work, i get a timeout when attempting to read from the radio. Also, is there some way to reset the password? I think this might have come with a password, is that possible? Any help would be appreciated!

ka3kza

Premium Subscriber
I cannot find dmr settings in the Baofeng DM-1801UV software, it only lets you set the frequency, not the other setting like found on my Anytone!

wfshort

Yes very much so it's fantastic and comes pre set to promiscuous mode enabled, I bought from eBay for around 65 dollars, I've bought 2 so far and happy with both. Scan is as fast or faster than the md380 and very much faster than the anytone radios. Also has very good reception on analog and dmr uhf and vhf, also sorry so long to reply back. Think the seller was csyztera99 but many sellers are selling for around the same price I just try to find one shipping within the us.
I would like to know how to set up the codeplug. i cannot get it to work for me. i am not sure what to input in the contact slot on the channel setting. I have the contacts set up and the receive group. i cannot get it to key a repeater when using parrot.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Yes the DR-1801uv software is lacking. I believe it also forces you to leave at least 2 analog frequencies in the codeplug to program or else you get an error trying to upload.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
« Wish it were compatible with open gd77 » …. You should sell your 1801 and buy the DM-1701 2023 model (was on the market around Feb/March this year) : in fact you can order one on Aliexpress that even comes with OpenGD77 *already installed* on it !
I have one and am flabbergasted by the quality of this radio, which when paired with the fantastic OpenGD77 firmware (and color screen completely configurable almost line per line in OpenGD77) is simply alone in its category, no other radios packs so much for so few $ !
I tried to find (but did not find) a radio that adjust its screen brightness according to sunrise / sunset times, or which allows tracking ham satellites in real time with graphic display and automatic Doppler shift-adjusted frequencies… 😊