Baofeng + Droid Razr + APRSDroid: connection cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

highline

Greetings.

I'm curious if such a cable exists: one with the appropriately sized adapters for a BaoFeng UV-5R's speaker and mic input on one end, and a 3-stripe 3.5mm plug on the opposite. With VOX on the UV-5R, the cable should allow a seamless data connection to the Droid and APRSDroid.

I hunted around online for something like this about a year ago, but wasn't able to locate it. I'm relatively new/inexperienced with amateur radio so my cable creation skills failed miserably :'(

The 3-stripe is required so that the Droid recognizes the cable as one that has mic/speaker.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

photoguy2

I have an IPhone. I assume the 3.5 is the same.

I can not help you with receive. I have not tried to do that.

But for transmit, all you have to do is use a standard 3.5 to 3.5. I have made a backpack tracker that way several times.

Also, you might try this. I have the PC version, and it works great. It says it is a PSK interface, but it is just a sound card interface, so it will work with APRS.

"Easy Digi" PSK Interface for iPhone iPad iPod Touch | eBay

EDIT: I think this is what you need. Built for phones and the Baofeng. Also, the guy who makes these is super helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-DIGI-U...105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aca4b95e1

Matt

highline

I'm thinking that abandoning the cable idea and switching to the easy $50 Bluetooth TNC is the way to go.

Thanks much for your reply.

yo3fvr

Hi Matt ! I use a MAAS AHT-2UV, which is similar with a lot of BaoFengs, including yours. I use a duplex cable from TCVR to my phones with APRSdroid (LG Optimus Black and HTC Gratia) and it works fine. You can see the cable connections here: Topic: MAAS AHT-2UV: Simple use for APRS - YO3FVR's WEBsite. But, not any smartphone can be used, unfortunately... Some Samsungs are OK, but no chance on Sony Xperia, for example. Best 73!

Status
Not open for further replies.