Baofeng foxhunt transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinjeepin

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting a foxhunt together with my local radio club. I'll very likely end up with a piccon from byonics, but I'm messing around with a simple audio recording triggering the VOX right now. Obviously, the best way to go about this is with a line in to the mic jack from my audio device. I tried going in with an unaltered patch cord. It was obviously overdriving the radio and had lots of distortion. When I lowered the volume the VOX would drop out. After much searching with little finding I cut the cord and soldered in a 560 ohm resistor on both wires. That made very little difference in the distortion, but the VOX would drop out at a higher volume than before. Should I go higher or am I wasting my time? I've seen the mic impedance listed at 600 ohm and 2.2k ohm.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Baofeng is expecting a mic-level input, not speaker level. Make an attenuator by connecting a 1000-ohm resistor and a 10-ohm resistor in series, with the 1000-ohm connected to the speaker output, and the 10-ohm to ground. Then connect a 1-microfarad capacitor to the resistor junction and the mic input. That will reduce the signal level by about 100:1 and eliminate the distortion/overdrive.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The capacitor between the resistors and the mic input accomplishes the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.