• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BaoFeng GT-3, has anyone heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

It's the newest Baofeng model. It's supposedly an upgrade to the UV-5R and is supposed to be water resistant. I already have the UV-5R and UV-B5, and like both of them, especially for the price.

Astrogoth13

Here's the thing: The GT is a much improved UV-5R for $20 more. It'd be a no brainer but for the fact it's a limited edition run (50,000 units) and the batteries of the 5R don't fit the GT. So, if they don't make AA battery packs or a big extended pack for the GT (and they may not.) you're up the creek with your one little slow charging battery come disaster time.

Nobody knows right now.

hunfgruf

there are already some reviews about baofeng GT-3 in eham, I have't made up my mind yet. also consider wouxon, but more expensive.

willeren

I got two

got two. not bad. I program it through CHIRP. quite simple. TX/RX are good. Just need to buy another extra battery for some convenience. haha

KD8DVR

I have a Yahoo group for that radio.

Yahoo Groups

At any rate, I got mine and it is definitely a good looking radio. Honestly, though, nothing really new, compared to the original uv5r. The lcd is invisible with the backlight off and seating the radio in the charger is a nightmare. I would definitely say the water resistance is no different than the uv5r. The speaker gets wet, and game over.

nycnewbee

GT-3

Cool looking radio but it looks like it is somewhat rubberized... IT'S NOT. Waterproof? Doubtful, the speaker is more open then any of the UV-5R series radios. Seems like the same menu as the UV-5Rs but the color changes don't apply to the back lit screen. The back lit screen it pretty useless unless its illuminated. Performance seems the same as the UV-5R with a much louder speaker.
but over all it works just fine.....Just slightly over priced.

I still think the UV-82 is the best of the bunch.

nycnewbee

GT-3

It's not bad... I didn't mean to knock it too hard... Just not sure its worth the extra money. If you are primarily monitoring, it's cool because the speaker is louder.

Has anyone tried to swap out the antenna? Its a fit in there.

KD8DVR

There are a few that work.. the generic antenna you see everywhere will work, (looks like the Wouxun stock antenna) and a few others will work, too.

ControlNode

I recently bought this radio and while waiting for it to arrive I continued my research into how to go about legally using it as a GMRS radio for races. I was planning to review it and consider suggesting it to local SCCA chapter for auto-x events using GMRS to replace the FRS units we use now because at one of our sites the FRS just don't have the range/clarity for timing and scoring. My thought was if we had legal option for 5W radio on shared FRS/GMRS frequency we could faze out our existing FRS radios and at first use these new radios at the work stations furthest from the timing and scoring trailer. I think I've found we can't use this radio and think our best option at this time is to buy some MURS legal radios (thinking Dakota Alert, since so far that is the only non commercial ones I've heard are legal for MURS) since that is still 4 times the power and VHF should be a little better than UHF where we race. Anyway, while I was searching for FCC license for it I found that the UV-B5 was not licensed until several months after it went on sale, perhaps the same will be true of the GT-3. I'm guessing based on the FCC 95 sticker they would plan for that approval.

And finally the question I have, if they are testing with the same hardware and settings as already being sold would the GT-3 getting Part 95 approval from FCC later change the legal use of existing radios? For now I have a decent scanner that I can monitor Police/Fire/FRS/GMRS/MURS with though. Also can program the repeaters at VIR and such for when I'm working there a few times a year. FYI: I did press the PTT button once to test the TX lockup options on an FRS channel after programming it from the computer, lockout works so it is a great scanner for me.

nd5y

The FCC will NOT grant Part 95 certification for MURS to any radio manufactured after 2002 that is capable of operation on other frequencies besides the 5 MURS channels or puts out more than 2 W.

The FCC will NOT grant Part 95 certification for FRS to any radio that is capable of operation on other frequencies besides the 14 FRS channels, puts out more than .5 W, or has a detachable antenna.

ControlNode

I understand that it can't be authorized for MURS or FRS even if it was part 95 because of the mentioned issues. Also, I looked at the pictures of the UV-B5 or the UV-5R submitted to the FCC and found that the sticker in it has 2002/95 on it, though it was certified as part 90. Based on that I'm guessing if the GT-3 gets a cert later this year it may be Part 90 too, unless the new chips change something.

I was thinking more of as a GMRS unit if I get that license for me and my family. I was under the impression that radios used for GMRS it still has to have FCC approval (maybe not part 95). Does the GMRS license be allow its use without FCC approval?

KD8DVR

I understand that it can't be authorized for MURS or FRS even if it was part 95 because of the mentioned issues. Also, I looked at the pictures of the UV-B5 or the UV-5R submitted to the FCC and found that the sticker in it has 2002/95 on it, though it was certified as part 90. Based on that I'm guessing if the GT-3 gets a cert later this year it may be Part 90 too, unless the new chips change something.

I was thinking more of as a GMRS unit if I get that license for me and my family. I was under the impression that radios used for GMRS it still has to have FCC approval (maybe not part 95). Does the GMRS license be allow its use without FCC approval?

None of those radios were ever approved for Part 95. They have been approved for Part 90 (Commercial use), which does NOT cover MURS or GMRS/

GMRS *is* covered on Part 95. A GMRS license does not authorize equipment. You are still required to use Part 95 Approved GMRS equipment.

nycnewbee

I hate to rehash an old thread, but the GT-3 has some new variations out there..... has anyone seen or played with the new Baofeng A52. Supposed to be built on the same platform. Looks a little less cheesy... Wondering how it felt in person. Amazon has it for 35.00.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
happen to watch a video in youtube about Baofeng GT-3, it seems a new product.
As far as I know, Welcome to Radioddity Two-Way Radio, Ham Radio, Mobile Transceiver, Walkie-Talkie, Radio Accessories, Shortwave Radio, ebay and amazon are seeling it currently. but there are not much reviews of it.
Has anyone bought it? How is it work?
here is the video.
Unboxing BaoFeng GT-3 - YouTube

It depends on your definition of "new". It has been available since the end of 2013.

Jim KC9HI

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The GT-3 is just a cosmetic variant of the UV-5R. The latest version of that product line is the BF-F8+. If you order a large enough quantity of radios from Baofeng, you can get custom case colors and such. But such variants aren't really new or different.

Status
Not open for further replies.