• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng GT-3TP has improvements, but no Narrow trx

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
I saw goolagtube reviews from hams who seem credible about the GT-3TP. Although its FCC type is UV5R, it has numerous improvements in rx and trx, battery mgmt, onboard mic, the formerly useless paper manual is decent now, and more. I won't go into them here, I'm not an expert, just an informed buyer. It seems that the ham community is still focusing on the UV5R and its considerable shortcomings but has not noticed the new tri-power 1/4/8W GT-3TP model much, at least on the forums I surf. I still have my Yaesu HTs but bought several GT-3TP HTs so I could leave one in every truck and not worry about losing $32. I also gave 2 to elderly neighbors for emegency use. We live in a very rural area, 911 calls can take an hour for response if the Deputy is on the other side of our county. I can be at their house in 4 minutes.

For CHIRP programming, you have to use "BF-F8HP" model. On clone, you get a popup error about firmware version mismatch for "other" fields, but it's not significant, or maybe Narrow band is in there....

There are some oddities. For the low ChiComm price, we put up with some crapola. The most vexing oddity is so far I can't get the unit to stay in Narrow mode. I've tried with CHIRP, and tried manually on the HT. The little homey don't play Narrow, apparently. Anybody overcome that yet?

FYI

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Baofengs are not type accepted for any service that requires narrow banding. Ham radio (generally) does not use narrow band although many ham HT's can do narrow band (sort of). Thus, they fill a legal need only for ham use. B-Tech makes one radio that is type accepted for GMRS. That's what your neighbors should be using. Preprogrammed too.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
These folks have poor cell service, plus a metal roof. The cell tower is 8 miles away. If they call us on the HT, it's part 97 paragraph 403 time.
While narrowband may not be required, it's thought of as good radio etiquette in Texas.

Last edited:

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
You may have to erase the memory channel and re-enter the info with narrow band set.

In CHIRP, it appears that Upload to Radio overwrites existing channel info. With this HT, wide or narrow is not set per channel. Curiously, it's in the Work Mode Settings, and is set per channel bank. I set A bank to Narrow, but the HT ignores that.
1605410806980.png

Status
Not open for further replies.