Baofeng on MARCS_IP for Aurora

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreke

Hello, I’m hoping someone can help with a question I have. I’m a bit of a novice so take it easy on me.

I was using a Baofeng UV-5R as a scanner to get the Aurora Police Department on 159.13500 but they switched to the new MARCS IP system and now I hear nothing on 159.13500.
I found this link –

Ohio MARCS IP: Portage County Radio IDs - The RadioReference Wiki ?

and it references the Aurora PD as RID- 6790270 and RID- 6790271.

Are there any Baofeng’s that will pick up these new channels? Also, what range is this 700Mhz?

I’m just looking for a cheap alternative to a scanner since I’m only interested in one channel and I’m close to the tower.
Thanks

kf8yk

Are there any Baofeng’s that will pick up these new channels?

No

Also, what range is this 700Mhz?

The MARCS system uses the 700 & 800 MHz trunking bands

I’m just looking for a cheap alternative to a scanner since I’m only interested in one channel and I’m close to the tower.
Thanks

Your only option is a P25 digital scanner or receiver, here's some examples:

Digital Police Scanner Radios

Nasby

As the other poster said, you need a digital scanner to hear Aurora PD.

Check Craigslist and garage sales and you will likely find one at a good price. Just be sure its digital.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Hello, I’m hoping someone can help with a question I have. I’m a bit of a novice so take it easy on me.

Thanks

MARCS-IP doesn't work like that. It is a trunking system where sites can utilize up to 30 different channels (frequencies). A conversation can move around among these channels. So just monitoring one, will not allow entire conversations to be heard. I understand the wanting to go cheap, unfortunately that no longer goes hand in hand with today's scanners. They are not cheap in any sense of the word. As answered above your best shot at "cheap" is craigslist, garage sales or perhaps a pawn shop.

NOPE it's to OLD and Don't do 700 MHZ for Marc's mooreke just buy a scanner if you buy a TWO-WAY Radio you need someone to program it talking lots of money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.