• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng on Motorola Minitor Tone Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogersjoey6

Quick Question

I am a recently new member of an all volunteer department in Shelby County Indiana and have been issued a minitor 6 for receiving calls. I live a little out of district and far from the county dispatch so the pager does not pick up as well as my Baofeng UV-5R or my UV-82. In fact if I key up on the county frequency on either baofeng the pager picks it up just fine, but on my "Department only" Channel on my pager it does not pick it up so I know it has a tone to it. I have been just using my baofengs to pick up the calls and waking up whenever anyone in the county gets toned (which is getting old after a month now) and my assistant chief said my chief programs our pagers and should give me the tone out code.

My minitor 6 ranges 143-174mhz...

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
You should NOT be keying your radio on a Public Safety Frequency!
You should program the Baofeng with a computer so that you can disable the transmitter on those channels. The Baofeng will not go off with your station tone off tones. As for your company channel if you know the frequency you do not necessarily need to PL tone (PRIVATE LINE) to monitor it.
Google the difference between tone out and pl tones.

toastycookies

Quick Question

I am a recently new member of an all volunteer department in Shelby County Indiana and have been issued a minitor 6 for receiving calls. I live a little out of district and far from the county dispatch so the pager does not pick up as well as my Baofeng UV-5R or my UV-82. In fact if I key up on the county frequency on either baofeng the pager picks it up just fine, but on my "Department only" Channel on my pager it does not pick it up so I know it has a tone to it. I have been just using my baofengs to pick up the calls and waking up whenever anyone in the county gets toned (which is getting old after a month now) and my assistant chief said my chief programs our pagers and should give me the tone out code.

My minitor 6 ranges 143-174mhz...

What exactly is the question?

SCPD

QRT
Since this was brought up, you can disable tx in chirp by choosing off. Then you can also go to settings tab on left in chirp and uncheck vhf transmit. But the baofengs to my.knowledge do not do quick call or quick call II.

lmrtek

the uv5r has a HORRIBLE receiver

it takes FAR more than sensitivity to hear reliably

any transmitter within a couple miles will desense it into the noise

I certainly wouldn't risk lives depending on it

p

DJ11DLN

I believe that the OP was asking about using his Baofeng CCR's for fire tone-out. The answer to that is that neither model listed supports 2-tone paging. There are radios out there, and scanners too, that do support 2-tone and which will offer an improvement over the performance of a pager. Likewise, as another poster has mentioned the Motorola pager referenced does have a dock available that has an external antenna which will improve performance. Look around on eBay, Amazon, etc.

As far as it being illegal for the OP to transmit via his CCR radios on the county fire dispatch...read his original post. He is an accredited Firefighter, albeit a new one. If the radios in question are Part 90 certified, then he most likely does have the legal right to use them on his authorized frequency.

cobraultra

Feed Provider
Here is what you can do with the UV-5R.... Get a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter. then use a computer with TwoToneDetect on it. Connect 5R with regular male to male 3.5mm headphone cable. configure TTD with your departments tones and you are ready to go. You can set the computer to alert with a sound... as well as only open the speaker when tones are detected. as well as send yourself a MMS message or email to your phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Here is what you can do with the UV-5R.... Get a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter. then use a computer with TwoToneDetect on it. Connect 5R with regular male to male 3.5mm headphone cable. configure TTD with your departments tones and you are ready to go. You can set the computer to alert with a sound... as well as only open the speaker when tones are detected. as well as send yourself a MMS message or email to your phone.

Hope his vehicle is big enough to have this set up mobile.

SCPD

QRT
Just a thought, have you considered buying a surplus used ht1000 dn model, or ht1250 for your paging needs? While the ht1000 is old it will do quick call 2. Since your just needing the device for paging, a 2 channel or 16 channel ht1000 would suit your need. Channel 1 being page toned with your pl and dpl with qcII, ch 2 csq with qcII, ch 3 monitor of the raw frequency pl or csq. Just a thought. Just make sure it's a DN model of the ht1000. They are pretty cheap these days and are pretty good old radios. You could go the route of ht1250 or something but the cost would be higher. For what you want a ht1000 very basic, cheap would do what you need.

rogersjoey6

Just a thought, have you considered buying a surplus used ht1000 dn model, or ht1250 for your paging needs? While the ht1000 is old it will do quick call 2. Since your just needing the device for paging, a 2 channel or 16 channel ht1000 would suit your need. Channel 1 being page toned with your pl and dpl with qcII, ch 2 csq with qcII, ch 3 monitor of the raw frequency pl or csq. Just a thought. Just make sure it's a DN model of the ht1000. They are pretty cheap these days and are pretty good old radios. You could go the route of ht1250 or something but the cost would be higher. For what you want a ht1000 very basic, cheap would do what you need.

This is what I have been looking for! A radio that supports the 2 tone out quick call like the minitor and doesnt break the wallet.

rogersjoey6

Thank you all for the responses, I think from what I have read here I can not get the 2 tone out feature on my baofengs. So now I am going to find a radio that supports that, with a good antenna.

Hop763

Premium Subscriber
Correct, you can get an amp charger with the antenna hooked to the back, or hook an external antenna outside to the unit, by using the BNC fitting on the back.

MotoTRK

I have motorola CDM's available that LOVE being used as paging receivers. Sell a bunch to fire departments that need station alerting from a base mobile unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.