• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng programming with Chirp Setup Problem with COM Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I'm having a problem with getting the COM Port setup for Chirp for my Baofeng radio. I've installed the driver and used the driver disc that came with it. But after it's been installed the cable isn't assigned a com port or allow me to make any changes or anything. I'm looking for some advice in people who have used Baofeng and Chirp to help.
Thanks to all!

John_S

Baofeng programming

Having just bought a UV-5R myself, I had started doing a bit of research on this topic because I had heard that it could be a real issue. Two excellent sources of info on these are Baofeng Pofung Wouxun UV5R UV82 UV8D UV82X GT3 UVB5 Information Site, Ham Radio and YouTube. Take a look at Benjamin Gaston's 3 part video...search for Baofeng UV-5R programming and these will appear. The first item to fix is to remove the software that comes with the radio. Then follow the videos step for step...carefully...don't try to get ahead of him. You'll get the correct driver on Miklor...be sure to look for the one that matches your OS. Have the video running as you do the install and pause as necessary. I went through this a couple of weeks ago and it went very smoothly...in fact I was shocked. Install was on an older Xp machine and it was up and running in just a few minutes. Once again...YouTube to the rescue. The link above doesn't show it in the preview, but it's for Miklor.com.

AgentCOPP1

I've had problems with this before. It's quite irritating. You might want to try different USB ports on your computer and change the COM number in the Chirp program until it works. It's been so long since I messed around with it but I also remember the drivers being outdated or something as one of the problems.

John_S

The general issue with the driver included with the radio is that it tends to be out of date and doesn't match the firmware version of the radio...as far as I can tell from reading/listening around. The updated USB drivers are available at the Miklor.com site, along with a properly written English manual and lots more. The videos that I referred to earlier guide you through the whole process and it works. As far as which COM port, the computer needs to find it for itself...mine ended up on COM 6...but it will tell you if follow the steps. After going through the whole process in just a few minutes, I wondered why so many people have had issues getting this working.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Setting up com port

Depending on other devices, the com port number may vary. One of my radios uses com 14. Some devices will not use the higher numbers and require you to do some reassigning in the device manager. In addition to the correct driver version, there are cables with chips that are not genuine Prolific. I have a couple of situations where a radio/cable work on one computer but not on another, even with the same version of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.