• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

baofeng questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwinjames

New to all of this. Picked up a couple of baofeng uv-82hp to use on a hunting trip in the middle of nowhere (no cell signal). We are just looking to be able to contact each other to see if someone if they shot something rather than waiting until dark to begin getting the animal out. What would be the best channel or frequency to use or program in to get the strongest signal. We will only be using these a week each year for just a little bit each day.

Blackswan73

Each of you will need a license to legally transmit on any frequency on those radios. You would be better off with a blister pack set of FRS radios, or CB radios.

irwinjames

From the research I had done I figured that out. However there will be about 10 people in a 30 mile radius in this area and we will be four of them. The closest electricity is 50 miles away, closest blacktop road is close to 100 miles away, no airports, police stations, or emergency personnel, or large lakes with anything other than fishing boats. Just looking to bump the range up a few more miles.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
OK, if we're not gonna break that law, let's break this one instead.

michaelstephen

Premium Subscriber
It's awesome that you've given it so much thought and consideration to non-interference. I often wonder how many people buy those and dial in any frequency and talk away without a care to what their doing. Good for you!

Steve is right, MURS won't interfere with anything critical anywhere in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't matter whether it's "critical" or not. If it interferes with my legal communication, it's wrong. The bottom line is, he needs a license. He's no better than the rest of us.

michaelstephen

Premium Subscriber
Like he called out, he won't be interfering with your legal communication or anyone else's for that matter - not at low watts and 100 miles from any roads. With all the due diligence he is taking, he'll be fine on murs. It's like driving 3mph above the speed limit in the middle of the desert. - no one should care. At least for today, it's still a free country and all ;)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Illegal frequencies

And no government agency ever checks any social networking sight!

michaelstephen

Premium Subscriber
LoL its at most 3 watts over the limit .... if anyone has enough time to look into that in the middle of nowhere, it will be well worth the laugh to pay the $30 admin fine. It's good to see how intense people get about a topic that is really not an issue.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can always run the radios at low power (1 watt) for testing.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I haven't read the rules and regulations very closely. I didn't realize certain people were exempted.

He got into this forum to find someone to validate his proposed illegal activity. He found several so I guess he's good to go.

I'm sorry. I was always taught to try to do the right thing.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Fact of the matter is still without any infrastructure in place, the OP would be lucky to get more than 2-4 miles in non-LOS situations.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That is probably unnecessary if the intent is to communicate with fellow hunters, unless they are going to be spread out miles apart.

If the intent is to communicate with civilization, then satellite phones are probably the only option.

paulears

I always smile when people want to do this kind of thing. Licence or no licence - range will be so small that it doesn't work. The legality element is wasted on those who don't see it as an issue, and no amount of rational thinking ever changes their opinions. It's fine - loads of people believe laws are optional and that as many people break them it doesn't matter. Others believe the law should be followed. Changing opinion is a waste of time.

Sac916

That is probably unnecessary if the intent is to communicate with fellow hunters, unless they are going to be spread out miles apart.

If the intent is to communicate with civilization, then satellite phones are probably the only option.

10 people in a 30 mile radius......

..only be using these a week each year for just a little bit each day....

..... closest blacktop road is close to 100 miles away, no airports, police stations, or emergency personnel....

I hope somebody has a satellite phone to summon help --- like for an airlift.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I happen to be one of those people who would rather just
answer the OP's question than to get into the "legal" debate.
Almost every time a thread involves a Baofeng radio the "legal"
debate always rears it's ugly head. I too have to shake my head
and laugh because the same question goes through my head
every time I see the "legal" debate starting.

This question goes to all of the "Legal Eagles" who love to
quote and cite "the law"
If you were to be driving on a desert road in the middle of
nowhere, nobody is anywhere near you, and you know that
there is no police sitting on the side of the road with a radar
setup. Would you still be sitting in your car with both hands
at 2 and 10, seat belts on, with your speedometer sitting
on 54mph? I hardly think so. It matters not, how you answer
me here in this thread, but what matters is the real truth.

The moral? When you can honestly say that you NEVER, EVER
exceed the speed limit. When you can say that you NEVER, EVER
cheated on your tax return, only then, do you have the right to
start quoting and citing laws when it comes to talking on airwaves.

Instead of getting frustrated by the "law breakers" and "cheaters", just answer
the questions and let the user use his/her own judgement. Remember that
saying? Judge not...

Status
Not open for further replies.