• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng RD-5R DMR TDMA Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a RD-5R and can program DMR no problem, but some of the frequencies I can receive in DSD Plus are TDMA. I can receive them fine on DSD, but then I program the frequencies, Color Code and Talk groups. I can't pick up any of there chatter, I have retraced my steps to make sure I had the Color Code and talk groups correctly, I even made 2 different memory channels with one being on slot 1 and the other on slot 2 and still nothing, I can receive the signal, just not the digital audio.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
You state that the frequencies you can receive in DSD are TDMA - There are many flavors of TDMA, with DMR being only one. Your Baofeng model can only receive analog and DMR. Are you sure that the signals you're hearing are really DMR?

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
You state that the frequencies you can receive in DSD are TDMA - There are many flavors of TDMA, with DMR being only one. Your Baofeng model can only receive analog and DMR. Are you sure that the signals you're hearing are really DMR?
yes on dsd when it decodes it shows the color code
This is the system I am trying to receive
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9723

wrath

That is a Motorola proprietary version ,you can break the bank and buy a Motorola or a scanner to monitor it or keep using DSD,outside of a an actual used Motorola there are no transcievers that will be able to decode it( unless I am mistaken both DMR and TRBO are officially discontinued by Motorola) DMR was a commercial mode when it was discontinued the market was flooded with cheap digital Motorola equipment ,hams took up the chalenge of making it viable for our own uses , and being that the Chinese took notice and started flooding the US with low quality DMR radios ,i would say we succeeded.
Both DMR and Yaesu system fusion are variants of TDMA that is why most hotspots will transcode a Yaesu system fusion radio for both DMR & Fusion communications ,They use the same vocoder ,so the tiny computers in hotspots can do both with one radio .
There are lots of TDMA & CDMA Systems out there that are "orphaned" by the manufacturers because they have been replaced with P25 as a standard, think of it like VHS vs Betamax or more recently "smart TVs" i have a top of the line 55" that is considered "smart" but is stupid ! It is a 2011 so it has basic internet capability and connectivity,however each company was doing there own "thing" ,it wasnt until 2012 that they all got on board with memory and adding Apps to do other things ,so I can Facebook, hulu,Netflix & Yahoo(there are Samsung only things that are discontinued that my TV will do if they still existed!) but use a an Apple TV 4K for everything else ,that has come along since then.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
That is a Motorola proprietary version ,you can break the bank and buy a Motorola or a scanner to monitor it or keep using DSD,outside of a an actual used Motorola there are no transcievers that will be able to decode it( unless I am mistaken both DMR and TRBO are officially discontinued by Motorola) DMR was a commercial mode when it was discontinued the market was flooded with cheap digital Motorola equipment ,hams took up the chalenge of making it viable for our own uses , and being that the Chinese took notice and started flooding the US with low quality DMR radios ,i would say we succeeded.
Both DMR and Yaesu system fusion are variants of TDMA that is why most hotspots will transcode a Yaesu system fusion radio for both DMR & Fusion communications ,They use the same vocoder ,so the tiny computers in hotspots can do both with one radio .
There are lots of TDMA & CDMA Systems out there that are "orphaned" by the manufacturers because they have been replaced with P25 as a standard, think of it like VHS vs Betamax or more recently "smart TVs" i have a top of the line 55" that is considered "smart" but is stupid ! It is a 2011 so it has basic internet capability and connectivity,however each company was doing there own "thing" ,it wasnt until 2012 that they all got on board with memory and adding Apps to do other things ,so I can Facebook, hulu,Netflix & Yahoo(there are Samsung only things that are discontinued that my TV will do if they still existed!) but use a an Apple TV 4K for everything else ,that has come along since then.

This helps a lot I appreciate the feedback

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
...(unless I am mistaken both DMR and TRBO are officially discontinued by Motorola) DMR was a commercial mode when it was discontinued the market was flooded with cheap digital Motorola equipment...

Not by any stretch of the imagination. MotoTRBO is very much alive and well, with new radios, repeaters, etc. all being produced. It is essentially Motorola's default business/commercial digital mode, while they market P25 for public service.

JRayfield

"( unless I am mistaken both DMR and TRBO are officially discontinued by Motorola) DMR was a commercial mode when it was discontinued the market was flooded with cheap digital Motorola equipment ,hams took up the chalenge of making it viable for our own uses , and being that the Chinese took notice and started flooding the US with low quality DMR radios ,i would say we succeeded."

Not sure where you came up with this but it's 100% inaccurate with respect to Motorola and DMR/MOTOTRBO.

Motorola is very much actively involved in the development/manufacturing/sales of DMR/MOTOTRBO equipment and systems. In fact, they only produce a couple of analog-only radios now. All others are either DMR/MOTOTRBO or P25.

"There are lots of TDMA & CDMA Systems out there that are "orphaned" by the manufacturers because they have been replaced with P25 as a standard"

Again, nearly 100% inaccurate information.

There are many DMR/MOTOTRBO systems on the air and none of them have been 'orphaned' by the manufacturers. Possibly some DMR/MOTOTRBO systems that were installed for public safety have been replaced with P25 systems, but it's not because the manufacturers 'orphaned' the systems.

John Rayfield, Jr.

JRayfield

Except they like to use their version of DMR, so they have a captive market.

MOTOTRBO is available in a conventional format, which is Tier 2 compatible. Yes, it has some functionality that is not part of the Tier 2 standard, but it meets all of the requirements to be Tier 2 compatible. The same can be said for other manufacturer's DMR products (such as Hytera's).

MOTOTRBO is also available in a trunking system format that is Tier 3 compatible. Again, it includes some features that are not part of the Tier 3 standard, but MOTOTRBO Capacity MAX meets all of the requirements to be Tier 3 compatible.

MOTOTRBO Connect Plus, Capacity Plus and Capacity Plus Multisite are proprietary systems using the standard DMR over-the-air protocol. So these are 'their versions' of DMR-based systems.

John Rayfield, Jr.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
So you basically just confirmed my statement. DMR is a standard in the EU, unlike here in the US. A standard is when all manufacturers meet the same standards and equipment is inter-changable. There are always differences in Mot products from the standard, as there was in P-25 until the US Gov said no more funding of Mot systems if they don't meet ALL the standards.
Try adding some other brand to any Mot DMR system (other than conventional), and the owner/operator will say no-go, it has to be Mot. with the right EID.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to program the RD-5R to listen to DMR TDMA channels since it says in the description of the radio that it's capable for tier II DMR and is also compatible with TDMA and MOTOTRBO radios and systems.

JRayfield

So you basically just confirmed my statement. DMR is a standard in the EU, unlike here in the US. A standard is when all manufacturers meet the same standards and equipment is inter-changable. There are always differences in Mot products from the standard, as there was in P-25 until the US Gov said no more funding of Mot systems if they don't meet ALL the standards.
Try adding some other brand to any Mot DMR system (other than conventional), and the owner/operator will say no-go, it has to be Mot. with the right EID.

DMR is accepted as a standard worldwide, just as P25 is accepted as a standard worldwide.

As I already pointed out, Capacity MAX trunking meets the requirements for the DMR Tier 3 standard.

John Rayfield, Jr.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Is it possible to program the RD-5R to listen to DMR TDMA channels since it says in the description of the radio that it's capable for tier II DMR and is also compatible with TDMA and MOTOTRBO radios and systems.

If it's a DMR radio, then you should be able to communicate on DMR channels, assuming that all the necessary digital parameters are correct. The only road block that I am aware of is the MOTOTRBO RAS enhancement. I know that RAS prevents unauthorized transmit... not sure about receiving.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Motorola still produces DMR gear. Lots of it. In fact they have already EOL their Gen 1 DMR gear.

TRBO is Motorola’s trade name for their line of DMR offerings.

Fusion has zero to do with TDMA and is not a ‘variant of TDMA’

P25 has not ‘orphaned’ any TDMA or CDMA formats.

There is so much wrong with your post I can’t even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

While I don’t know anything about that system, it could quite likely use RAS(Restricted Access to System.) the vast majority of actual DMR radios will not unmute on Motorola DMR systems(conventional or trunked) that are utilizing RAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.