• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

markfleser

Premium Subscriber
Having trouble with the squelch on my Pofung (Baofeng) UV-82. It's currently set at 2, but it doesn't seem to matter what setting I use, even all the way down to 0 I get the same results. On a VHF repeater, we don't have any in my immediate area so I'm not sure if it's a signal strength issue or what. I can key up a repeater and the radio will act like it's receiving, but I can't hear anything. The green receive light will come on, the display will light up and the active frequency arrow will blink, but I can't hear anything. If I press the "M" button to open up the squelch, I can hear what's going on. I have the frequency of my county's fire dispatch programmed into the radio, which is VHF (154 MHZ), I believe that it's all simplex too and I can hear every unit in the county that transmits, so the problem does not exist there. If I'm on VHF simplex with another radio and when I'm on a UHF repeater it does not have this problem. The radio obviously knows that its receiving so I don't understand why the squelch isn't opening especially when it's fine radio to radio on simplex and on UHF repeaters.

westernme963

Sure you don't have a pl programmed in on the receive side by accident. If you open the squelch you'll be getting the whole freq versus if its not opening because it doesny see the pl.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Having trouble with the squelch on my Pofung (Baofeng) UV-82. It's currently set at 2, but it doesn't seem to matter what setting I use, even all the way down to 0 I get the same results. On a VHF repeater, we don't have any in my immediate area so I'm not sure if it's a signal strength issue or what. I can key up a repeater and the radio will act like it's receiving, but I can't hear anything. The green receive light will come on, the display will light up and the active frequency arrow will blink, but I can't hear anything. If I press the "M" button to open up the squelch, I can hear what's going on. I have the frequency of my county's fire dispatch programmed into the radio, which is VHF (154 MHZ), I believe that it's all simplex too and I can hear every unit in the county that transmits, so the problem does not exist there. If I'm on VHF simplex with another radio and when I'm on a UHF repeater it does not have this problem. The radio obviously knows that its receiving so I don't understand why the squelch isn't opening especially when it's fine radio to radio on simplex and on UHF repeaters.

On the channel that you cannot receive, do you see "DCS" or "CT" in left status display? If you do, it must match the DCS code or CTCSS tone that is being transmitted by the station that you are listening to. If it doesn't match, or the station doesn't transmit a code or tone at all, you will never hear anything.

Until you understand how DCS codes and CTCSS tones work, you should always program your channels with menu 10 (R-DCS) and menu 11 (R-CTCS) set to OFF. OFF always works. Get it wrong, and your radio will not hear anything on that channel.

What is a CTCSS
Scanning for CTCSS and DCS Tones/Codes

Jim KC9HI

jk77

On some Baofeng models there is a firmware bug that if you don't set the keypad beep to "on" then the radio will not open squelch ever. The solution is to turn the keypad beep on. I don't know if this is a problem with the the UV-82 or not because I haven't tried turning off the beep on my 82.

Also, you have to make sure that you don't have a receive CTCSS or DCS set. In most cases for ham use, the receive tones should be turned off. When setting a PL tone for a repeater, you set the TRANSMIT CTCSS only.

joeuser

The Wretched
On some Baofeng models there is a firmware bug that if you don't set the keypad beep to "on" then the radio will not open squelch ever. The solution is to turn the keypad beep on. I don't know if this is a problem with the the UV-82 or not because I haven't tried turning off the beep on my 82.

Also, you have to make sure that you don't have a receive CTCSS or DCS set. In most cases for ham use, the receive tones should be turned off. When setting a PL tone for a repeater, you set the TRANSMIT CTCSS only.
Which is covered here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/showthread.php?t=279430
& mentioned above

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber

The UV-82 has a different system for firmware version numbers and as far as I know, does not ship with the N5R-20 firmware (which has the BEEP bug and the revised memory layout). That doesn't mean that there won't be a UV-82 firmware released that has these same changes.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.