Baofeng, using a uvr5 to transmit on murs or gmrs or frs frequencies?

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
I recently programmed a UV5R to a handful of GMRS frequencies just to listen, and I've heard jack. Does anybody actually use these channels except ATV users and the like? I'm in Greater Boston with active amateur repeaters and a lot of radio geeks, so I figured the GMRS channels would be active.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
These are short range UHF frequencies unless you get a GRMS repeater output.
You might stand a better chance on the FRS frequencies but it will be kids or family talk.
Ive heard a few industrial things on these frequencies.
The VHF Murs channels have a few stores on them for shop talk - Some Wal Marts used to use them.
I think you would make better reception with a high up Antenna in the attic or roof.

Pete N1EXA

ecps92

I recently programmed a UV5R to a handful of GMRS frequencies just to listen, and I've heard jack. Does anybody actually use these channels except ATV users and the like? I'm in Greater Boston with active amateur repeaters and a lot of radio geeks, so I figured the GMRS channels would be active.
Yes they are (Eastern Mass) used, depends on the time of day, just like Amateur (commuter hours) etc

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
Yes they are (Eastern Mass) used, depends on the time of day, just like Amateur (commuter hours) etc
Then maybe the portable antenna just doesn't receive them. I do occasionally hear what amounts to an obnoxious noise on some that sounds almost like an encrypted transmission. But that's all. @ N1EXA: I am in Boston so there are repeaters nearby. I am not interested in FRS. I think I expected more 5+ watt traffic around Boston. Perhaps I don't have the correct/popular frequencies programmed.

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
Just a google

Frequency​
Tone Up / Down
TT​
ORI​
Location​
County​
Owner​
Use​
Operational status
67.0 / 67.0
Rehoboth​
Bristol​
OPEN​
ON-AIR
Rehoboth, Harris Massachusetts​
Bristol​
CLOSED​
ON-AIR
88.5 / 88.5
Plymouth, Pine Hills​
Plymouth​
CLOSED​
ON-AIR

Fenway GMRS WQYQ870 462.625 + 5.0

nd5y

Then maybe the portable antenna just doesn't receive them.
What antenna are you using?
I am not interested in FRS
FRS and GMRS share the same frequencies. You can't avoid listening to FRS.
Perhaps I don't have the correct/popular frequencies programmed.
Where did you get the frequencies? Maybe you programmed the wrong ones. Use these.

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
Just a google

Frequency​
Tone Up / Down
TT​
ORI​
Location​
County​
Owner​
Use​
Operational status
67.0 / 67.0
Rehoboth​
Bristol​
OPEN​
ON-AIR
Rehoboth, Harris Massachusetts​
Bristol​
CLOSED​
ON-AIR
88.5 / 88.5
Plymouth, Pine Hills​
Plymouth​
CLOSED​
ON-AIR

Fenway GMRS WQYQ870 462.625 + 5.0

Thank you. I think the BU/MIT repeaters are in there. I don't expect to get much on a portable from South Shore.

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
What antenna are you using?

FRS and GMRS share the same frequencies. You can't avoid listening to FRS.

Where did you get the frequencies? Maybe you programmed the wrong ones. Use these.
I used the stock channels imported through Chirp. Didn't even really look at what frequencies they are. I will go back later and look. I understand the FRS/GMRS thing.

Nagoya antenna.

I do also receive considerably less amateur repeaters on the UV5R than I do on my FT-60, so it could be just that the radio is a POS. All my local public safety freq's come in crystal.

Last edited:

nd5y

Nagoya antenna.

I do also receive considerably less amateur repeaters on the UV5R than I do on my FT-60, so it could be just that the radio is a POS.
Use the stock antenna that came with the radio and see if reception improves. The Nagoya antenna could be killing the POS receiver.

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
Use the stock antenna that came with the radio and see if reception improves. The Nagoya antenna could be killing the POS receiver.
I added to my last post that all my public safety freq's come in strong. I'll look for the stock rubber duck and see if it changes anything. I was advised early on when I got the thing that the OEM antenna is terrible.

ecps92

Then maybe the portable antenna just doesn't receive them. I do occasionally hear what amounts to an obnoxious noise on some that sounds almost like an encrypted transmission. But that's all. @ N1EXA: I am in Boston so there are repeaters nearby. I am not interested in FRS. I think I expected more 5+ watt traffic around Boston. Perhaps I don't have the correct/popular frequencies programmed.
Which Frequency ? do you hear this on

some GMRS/FRS are shared with UHF Marine channels.
Could be a Cargo, Cruise or Military vessel in port sharing the frequency

12dbsinad

That Baofeng is probably puking in Boston. Those receivers are about the poorest quality you can get and the shear amount of RF in the Metro area is probably making the receiver deaf. Public Safety probably works ok because they have enough saturation in the City so it works. Also, the better the antenna you try and use, the worse it gets.

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
Which Frequency ? do you hear this on

some GMRS/FRS are shared with UHF Marine channels.
Could be a Cargo, Cruise or Military vessel in port sharing the frequency
Could be. Don't recall the channel. Could also be some nearby bubble wrap radio making just enough noise to be obnoxious.

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
That Baofeng is probably puking in Boston. Those receivers are about the poorest quality you can get and the shear amount of RF in the Metro area is probably making the receiver deaf. Public Safety probably works ok because they have enough saturation in the City so it works. Also, the better the antenna you try and use, the worse it gets.
Yeah. Maybe I will pick up a portable intended for GMRS use and see what happens. I had this thing sitting around never used so I thought I would experiment. It makes a good scanner, except for the fact that the scanning is slow as shat.

dkcorlfla

Yeah. Maybe I will pick up a portable intended for GMRS use and see what happens. I had this thing sitting around never used so I thought I would experiment. It makes a good scanner, except for the fact that the scanning is slow as shat.
The UV5R is also only legal for scanning as radios for use on GMRS need to have a FCC cert. I believe the FSR needs to have a fixed antenna as well. I just ran into this myself programing a Retevis RT95, not legal to TX on GMRS with this rig either even though it supports all the channels, tones and bandwidth.

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
The UV5R is also only legal for scanning as radios for use on GMRS need to have a FCC cert. I believe the FSR needs to have a fixed antenna as well. I just ran into this myself programing a Retevis RT95, not legal to TX on GMRS with this rig either even though it supports all the channels, tones and bandwidth.
Yeah, I'm aware. That's why I said "just to listen" in my first post. Although there's no doubt in my mind that is likely being widely ignored given the proliferation of these radios and the limited capabilities of the FCC enforcement arm.

Last edited:

FKimble

Have you programed the GMRS freqs in your FT-60? It will be receive only, but should be better than the cheapie. Look at Smilely antennas, they are cut for each of the many services, HAM, MURS, GMRS, Public safety, Weather, etc. Switched my Yaseu FT-250 to a Smiley Ham version and picked up a couple more NOAA stations and a couple scratchy one improved noticably, in addition to local Ham repeater improvement.

Frank

pentafed

Premium Subscriber
Have you programed the GMRS freqs in your FT-60? It will be receive only, but should be better than the cheapie. Look at Smilely antennas, they are cut for each of the many services, HAM, MURS, GMRS, Public safety, Weather, etc. Switched my Yaseu FT-250 to a Smiley Ham version and picked up a couple more NOAA stations and a couple scratchy one improved noticably, in addition to local Ham repeater improvement.

Frank
I have not. Maybe I'll throw the two primary Boston repeaters in that and see what happens. I will look at those antennas but not really interested in putting more money into that radio. It may also be location. I have not really taken it around and monitored with it. I've basically just listened from home. I actually did briefly pick up something today on one channel. Sounded like something commercial. Maybe a FRS walkie. No calls used. Thanks.

Last edited: