• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng UV-5R-3 not comunicating with Chirp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billy1962

What is everyones power level on UV-5R-3? Mine is only 1.5W and horrible intermod! But it has 4W out on 240MHz?

Edit: 1.5W out on 224MHz

billy1962

I'd be very interested in what the differences are between this radio and the UV-5X3.

As of now what I see - it uses a UV-5R label for FCCID; and includes a short dummy load antenna for 220 (it looks like a stock uv-5r antenna)

I am buying a UV-5X3 to get a side by side test - but the UV-5R-3 is subpar at best on 220 - if they added it as an afterthought or if they made it pretend it does 220. It seems like a UV-82X right now with the focus on 240 mhz

KD8DVR

As of now what I see - it uses a UV-5R label for FCCID; and includes a short dummy load antenna for 220 (it looks like a stock uv-5r antenna)

I am buying a UV-5X3 to get a side by side test - but the UV-5R-3 is subpar at best on 220 - if they added it as an afterthought or if they made it pretend it does 220. It seems like a UV-82X right now with the focus on 240 mhz

ah.. OK.. the UV-5X3 has a lot of different features. One, being the display synch. Another, on the fly scan add and delete... plus remote commands. The UV-5X3 is a solid performer on 220.

The UV-82X is a total fail.... transmits a strong 70 CM harmonic, when used on 220.... it can actually open a 70 cm repeater!

I hope this 5R3 isn't equally dirty. This is likely further proof that the BTECH UV-5X3 isn't made by Baofeng. If it were, they'd release the same model.

nd5y

Maybe the reason they give you a separate 220 antenna that doesn't work on 440 is to reduce the 2nd harmonics of 220 instead of having filtering in the PA circuit.

77Impala

I don't have enough experience on this radio yet as most whom I talk with have not started to look into the 220Mhz. Currently the area I live in does not have a 220Mhz repeater.

I did order and installed the recommended tri-band Nagoya NA-320A antenna.

Last edited:

billy1962

ah.. OK.. the UV-5X3 has a lot of different features. One, being the display synch. Another, on the fly scan add and delete... plus remote commands. The UV-5X3 is a solid performer on 220.

The UV-82X is a total fail.... transmits a strong 70 CM harmonic, when used on 220.... it can actually open a 70 cm repeater!

I hope this 5R3 isn't equally dirty. This is likely further proof that the BTECH UV-5X3 isn't made by Baofeng. If it were, they'd release the same model.

This appears to have the BTECH menu according to the BTECHs online manual - the UV-5R-3 does not match the manual included.

Currently my guess is this would be a BTECH radio made for 240 mhz. It has a UV-5R Part 90 sticker on the radio.

KD8DVR

Chirp updated today, that radio is now supported on the latest update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

clbsquared

I just read one of these radios this morning for a friend of mine. I used UV_5R_P3 programming software. Version 13.05.10. It read and wrote just fine.

77Impala

Please thank all involved in getting this radio CHIRP supported for me. I have all I wanted plus more loaded and still have more room for later.

Also for anyone who is reading this and looking for the radio, it is listed under MTC. If you naturally look under Baofeng as I did at first you will not find the UV-5R-3.

Pointer111

Link to UV_5R_P3 programming software?

I just read one of these radios this morning for a friend of mine. I used UV_5R_P3 programming software. Version 13.05.10. It read and wrote just fine.

Where did/do you get this? Can you provide a link to this software? I searched and could not find it anywhere on the net. I just bought a Baofeng UV-5R-3 from MTC and have been trying to program it. No software or link was supplied with it. I tried CHIRP, which I use for other radios, but with the latest stable release, that radio does not seem to be supported (am submitting ticket there). I read in this thread that it had been added, but it is not listed, and other possibilities like the general UV-5R and similar BTECH do not work! RT Systems does have supporting software for it now, but I am trying to avoid paying $50 to program a radio I bought for only $30!! Any help appreciated.

KD8DVR

Where did/do you get this? Can you provide a link to this software? I searched and could not find it anywhere on the net. I just bought a Baofeng UV-5R-3 from MTC and have been trying to program it. No software or link was supplied with it. I tried CHIRP, which I use for other radios, but with the latest stable release, that radio does not seem to be supported (am submitting ticket there). I read in this thread that it had been added, but it is not listed, and other possibilities like the general UV-5R and similar BTECH do not work! RT Systems does have supporting software for it now, but I am trying to avoid paying $50 to program a radio I bought for only $30!! Any help appreciated.
On chirp you must look for the brand "MTC". There you will find your radio. It is not listed under Baofeng or BTECH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.