• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R (Begginer Alert)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooster821

Sorry for writing an essay, but I wanted to make it as easy as possible to answer my questions.

I just recently received a UV-5R Ham Radio. No worries, I have transmitting permit, but transmitting isn't what I'm here for.

I've been having trouble with the thing for a while, I've read the manual and seen many forums posts here about a guide, but most everything I've seen is geared towards someone that has some type of prior knowledge about HAM Radios.

I'm a pure beginner, the UV-5R is my first Radio. Ever.

I travel a lot and I plan on using the UV-5R almost solely for Railfanning. I already have all the Frequencies plugged in and permanently turned transmit off (so I don't accidentally transmit and RR Freqs. and go to jail for quite a long time).

My Problems are mostly the Antenna and the Battery. I've seen a lot of people review the UV-5R say that on constant receive/transmit, the battery only lasts about an hour, but I also see other people say that their battery lasts a few days. Discrepancies? Should I invest ina newer battery/battery pack or different batteries?

Also, by chance, could there be other recommendations for a better antenna than the duck-taped tree twig on the top of this thing? One that won't break the bank?

The best I've found is the Nagoya NA-701 SMA Male and the ExpertPower XP-669C 7.5-Inch Dual Band SMA, any other recommendations?

When railfanning, I'd have the UV-5R in constant scan mode until it picks up a frequency, and it would (hopefully) stay on that frequency until the signal is lost or terminated. What kind of effect would that have on the battery? Would it be better to find the station and turn it on and off occasionally?

Any other beginner tips for the UV-5R?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is actually already somewhere else...

dmg1969

Hey Rooster. I work in Harrisburg, but live in Perry County. I have a UV-5R I use strictly as an additional scanner.

For the antenna, check out the diamond SRH77CA dual band. https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Original-SRH77CA-Dual-Band-Handheld/dp/B00K1JJWFO

I know they sell larger batteries for the UV-5R. Mine has always had very good battery life. Here is an example, but make SURE it is compatible with the exact model of your UV-5R. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WMD76I...t=&hvlocphy=9006662&hvtargid=pla-318113839580

Hope this helps.

Dave

Rooster821

Hey Rooster. I work in Harrisburg, but live in Perry County. I have a UV-5R I use strictly as an additional scanner.

For the antenna, check out the diamond SRH77CA dual band. https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Original-SRH77CA-Dual-Band-Handheld/dp/B00K1JJWFO

I know they sell larger batteries for the UV-5R. Mine has always had very good battery life. Here is an example, but make SURE it is compatible with the exact model of your UV-5R. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WMD76I...t=&hvlocphy=9006662&hvtargid=pla-318113839580

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thank you very much, Dave! I took a look at the links, especially the battery one, and I actually got someone to help me find the right battery! Thanks for the quick response as well, sorry I couldn't get back to you until now, I was driving through South Dakota and, well, anyone who knows that area is chuckling right now.

-Rooster821

nd5y

If you are scanning all 100 or so railroad channels then you really want something that scans faster than a Baofeng which has a scan/search rate of about 3 channels per second. That means it takes 30 seconds to go through the scan list and you will be receiving each channel only once ever 30 seconds. You will miss a lot of transmissions. Compare that to modern Uniden and Whistler scanners with scan rates of about 100 to 300 channels per second.

Nasby

Before going trackside, I would research what railroads run through the area.

Then look in the database and only program the frequencies of the line(s) that pass through that area.

This will save you from needlessly scanning through all of the AAR channels and possibly missing radio traffic.

Even the busiest junctions and yards only have about a dozen or so frequencies in use (if that many).

teufler

Well there is scanning and monitoring. Difference being, once you have foiund the frequency being used, you sit on that . Receiving only, the battery , stock battery will last a day or two. If you buy the 3800 mah battery, 3 or 4 days is normal. Better antenna, any external antenna will work better than and antenna that attaches directly to the radio, like a rubber duck, though if you get up and walk around, the rubber ducks have there place.This antenna has worked good for me. It is complete, coax, fitting for a sma fitting on the radio and a mag mt to hold. Never has blown off and I have used it in motels mounted to an air conditioner or a waste basket turned upside down.. https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/5896.html $19.95, its small, light weight, does not put alot of strain on the radios sma connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.