• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BaoFeng UV-5R - Entering Channel Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidtravel

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

New to the forum and well as to UV-5R. I have been going through the process of setting up the BaoFeng and wanted to find out whether I was entering channels numbers in the correct way.

It seems that I have to first select "0" before I can then enter the channel I want. That seems very odd but it is the only way I have found to go to a channel.

When I am in channel mode, if I press numbers on the keyboard, nothing happens other than the screen flashes briefly but the channel does not change.

If I select "0" first, I can then enter other numbers to go to specific channels. The really strange thing is that is I want to go to channel 100 or above, I have to go to channel 99 and then use the up arrow to go below that channel. The reason for this is that I enter "0" for it to "register" I want to enter a channel number, but once I enter 1, "0" and then the last 0, it thinks I am trying to start over. I know all that seems really odd but I am just not sure if I did something for it to be acting this way.

Now, the one caviate to this is that if I press "0" then something like "25," I can quickly then enter a number above 100 within it thinking the first 0 is starting over. If I wait more than a few seconds, I sort of get locked out and have to go back to "0" to enter channel numbers.

any thoughts from the group.

thanks everyone.

W5GX

That's how the memory channels are allocated in the radio. The channels are technically "000", "001"..."099", "100"..."127". If you want to select a memory channel under "100", you'll have to type in a "0" for the hundreds place.

To get to the 100s channels, just type directly - "1", "#", "#". To get to the sub-100 channnes, type directly - "0", "#", "#".

When typing in your example - "0", "1", "0" goes to channel 10, but then the next "0" you type tells the radio you want to go to a different "sub-100" channel.

Verified this on my Baofeng last night.

This type of memory access is rather wide spread, and used in may different types of equipment, not just amateur.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.