• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R for public safety use, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasmedic65

I'm a local volunteer firefighter as well as medic for the County EMS Service and I hate to say, but the handhelds the county has provided to us just don't cut it. They're old and falling apart. I recently bought a new Baofeng UV-5R to carry as my own duty radio, but I can't seem to program both the Tx and Rx frequencies.. Perhaps it's a simple step I'm missing, after all I am very new to this programming. Anybody have information on how to program this radio to be utilized as a functional county radio? (I have all the frequencies needed.)

Minus1

The problem is the UV-5R doesn't show both freqs easily. It only shows the transmit freq when you press transmit. The only indication that you have two freqs stored on the one channel is the +/- indicator.

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
The problem is the UV-5R doesn't show both freqs easily. It only shows the transmit freq when you press transmit. The only indication that you have two freqs stored on the one channel is the +/- indicator.

If your display is set to show frequency, pressing the *scan key momentarily will show the transmit frequency with an R at the top edge of the screen.

JCNHB

"If your display is set to show frequency, pressing the *scan key momentarily will show the transmit frequency with an R at the top edge of the screen"
With the R showing. Input the Tx frequency then press menu, then press 27 (to add channel), menu again to change that item) I then select the channel number and press menu one more time. It will say confirmed or memory transfered or something.
Go back and make sure it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
boafeng radios can be a pain in the butt for public safety. I'm surprised your employer doesnt provide communication equipment to a firefighter and medic to me you should not have to worry about that while working.
If your radio is old bad shape you would be able to purchase another one online in good used shape. auction sites ebay included you will find the Motorola brand. There is junk and there are decent used radios out there. Be sure to have your new purchase inspected and tuned/aligned to best condition by your radio shop. Remember you always have the option to return an item on ebay if there is any problem

Ramchops

ya spend ten bucks on a cable and download CHIRP and the driver.. CHIRP is free too. I use my UV5R for vol firefighting and have no issues, granted we have pr400 and ht1250 for our bunker gear, but I sometimes carry the UV5R. Wont do paging alerts though.

cabletech

texasmedic-----besides your programing problem, are you aware that all these Baofengs,Wexcom and other off brand radios, ARE NOT SERVICEABLE by a local radio shop?

There is NO SERVICE or software for these and if you are using them in a life threating enviorment, I am glad I do not live in your area.

I have friends that decied to buy some of these and after going thru the problem of programing we put them on a communications service montior and found that they were off frequency by as much as 2kilohetrz and the recieve sence was VERY bad, (as much as .75microvolts) without any tones and that when using tones is was much worst.

Now, no matter how bad the current equipment is, if I or any of my friends working in life threating enviorments were to buy their own equipment, then for around $250-300 you can get new branded equiopment that you can trust and is serviceable by a local shop.

Do what you wish but as a comm tech, I do not trust off brand equipment, even for ham use.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.