• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BaoFeng UV-5R Make Scanner Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

giocogames

Hello,

I recently purchased a BaoFeng UV-5R from eBay, and I enjoy it a lot, but I have a big issue. Because it can broadcast on frequencies that are illegal here in Australia, I am scared to even use it. I have looked for transmit inhibit, but all I find is how to make specific VHO channels no transmit, not make only a small range of legal UHF - VHF frequencies transmit capable. I need to be able to make my BaoFeng only be capable to transmit on a specific range of frequencies, and all other frequencies listen only. I don't care what software I need, I just have to do it.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
no way to do that from what I have read in the past. You can inhibit individual channels. Sorry

Hello,

I recently purchased a BaoFeng UV-5R from eBay, and I enjoy it a lot, but I have a big issue. Because it can broadcast on frequencies that are illegal here in Australia, I am scared to even use it. I have looked for transmit inhibit, but all I find is how to make specific VHO channels no transmit, not make only a small range of legal UHF - VHF frequencies transmit capable. I need to be able to make my BaoFeng only be capable to transmit on a specific range of frequencies, and all other frequencies listen only. I don't care what software I need, I just have to do it.

nd5y

CHIRP programming software can set the upper and lower VFO frequency limits to whatever you want. The defaults are 136-174 MHz and 400-520 MHz.

That means for example you can set it to only cover the 144-148 and 420-450 amateur bands.
Then you would not be able to enter frequencies outside of those ranges via the keypad but you can still use software to program memory channels with frequencies outside of those ranges. CHIRP has check boxes to disable transmit on either VHF or UHF or both but that feature is apparently non-functional or only works on radios with certain firmware.

Minus1

Just set the transmit freq to a legal frequency depending on your country, it doesn't have to be a frequency that would be normally associated with the freq you are monitoring.

So in Australia you might set the tx freq to a UHF CB freq. Then it won't matter if you accidentally hit transmit for a fraction of a second.

Programming two freqs on one channel is about as un-user-friendly as it gets. But there's a useful video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Om6b5IKM8

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just don't transmit where your not pose to transmit at.....

giocogames

Thank you all of you, but I still have a problem. If I set the transmit frequency range on my BaoFeng to say, 136 - 141 MHz, 476 - 478 MHz, would I still be able to listen to other frequencies, and would it only apply for channel mode, or would frequencies outside that range be blocked on frequency mode as well?

SpectreOZ

When programming the radio with supplied/chirp software just don't include a TX frequency it's that simple however... the radio is still capable of being quickly configured to TX anywhere within it's programmable range via the VFO so it's still not simply a scanner until you defeat the radio's ability to TX at the circuit level, is it really worth all that trouble?

Whilst it has pleasant receive characteristics (and would make an excellent single/dual channel listening set) it's still nothing more than a transceiver that can "scan" and a poor substitute for a dedicated scanner due to a lack of features.

kc0rtx

Premium Subscriber
Baofeng uv-5r tx inhibit

CHIRP programming software can set the radio to not tx, in properties select duplex and then select off, upload, poof no tx.

HelixArray

nd5y, will/can they release a firmware that will globally disable TX, or is it not possible? My two run on FW version N5R2407. What do you guys set your VFO to? I've only seen hardware mods so far that disable the call button..which most were permanent.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
These are transceivers so designed to transmit. They make lousy scanners. If worried about transmitting there are scanners that are much better than BaoFeng. Should also set POWER to lowest setting. Could always try to remove PTT button.

HelixArray

I've only been scanning with them for a few weeks. IMO They do make a lousy scanner for more than 6 freqs, to a degree. However, add in the $25 price tag, transceiving functionality, software programmable and the pros and cons have completely evened out for me. Tagged teamed with the CHIRP marine VHF channels, I was sold.

Off topic: You guys who write everyone all this free software that push these devices are amazing. I feel like I'm in the golden age of affordable electronics with the cheap SDR deceives and these Baofengs. But then again, I'm a neophyte to all this stuff, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just having fun with the hobby.

DickH

... They make lousy scanners. ...

That's your opinion. I have at least 10 scanners and My Baofeng UV-82 beats them all in a couple of areas. Volume is great and I get 18 hours scanning time on one battery charge. Re-charge takes just over 4 hours. And the sensitivity is just as good as my best scanner.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't call sitting on once frequency scanning. If monitoring one frequency they might do a good job, but as a true scanner, they stink. They are not a scanner but a two way radio.

DickH

I wouldn't call sitting on once frequency scanning. If monitoring one frequency they might do a good job, but as a true scanner, they stink. They are not a scanner but a two way radio.

One group I scan has 19 fire freqs. Another group I scan has 24 Railroad freqs. That's hardly ONE. :)

W2TPO

Avioding Tx on an emergency frequency

Hello,

I recently discovered that if you use the Baofeng software as opposed to Chirp, you can set the Tx freq to any freq you like, so I picked an innocuous and seemingly dormant freq, and set all my emergency (Monitor Only) TX to use that. You can also (using this software) remove selected channels from your scan list, so if your scans always stop on a noisy channel (like weather) you can just block them from the scan, turning the scan feature into a really usable thing

nd5y

I recently discovered that if you use the Baofeng software as opposed to Chirp, you can set the Tx freq to any freq you like, so I picked an innocuous and seemingly dormant freq, and set all my emergency (Monitor Only) TX to use that.
Chirp allows you to set memory channels to NOT TRANSMIT AT ALL, instead of putting in some random frequency that YOU think is unused.

KD8DVR

That's your opinion. I have at least 10 scanners and My Baofeng UV-82 beats them all in a couple of areas. Volume is great and I get 18 hours scanning time on one battery charge. Re-charge takes just over 4 hours. And the sensitivity is just as good as my best scanner.
I also agree they are poor scanners.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.