• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R Narrowband VS Wideband

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyro424

So I have programmed in channels both Narrow and Wide but honestly can not tell any difference on the RX end anyways. I am wondering if it actually makes any difference programming wide VS narrow or is it just for show. Has anyone done any testing to prove whether or not the bandwidth selection is even functional? I can not tell any difference just from my receiving.

nd5y

Yes it makes a difference, at least on mine.

On transmit narrow mode is 2.5 kHz deviation and wide mode is 5 kHz. I can easily hear and see the difference when sending DTMF, 1750 Hz and CTCSS tones to a receiver with a scope or voltmeter on the audio output.

Go to VFO mode on a vacant frequency and open the squelch. Then switch between wide and narrow. You should be able to hear the audio level of the white noise get louder when set to narrow. Something changes in the receiver between wide and narrow but I can't tell if it really changes the bandwidth or just the audio level.

Here is a review here where they say only the receive audio is louder on narrow but the selectivity doesn't change: Baofeng UV-5R review (UV-5RE) | PE1RQM

Since the UV-5R is a SDR there is no IF and no IF filters. Receive bandwidth is done via software. Some functions and features could possibly change in different firmware versions.

pyro424

Ok thanks that is very interesting. I actually had no idea the uv-5r was an SDR! It is good to know that it acutally does transmit the proper bandwidth. Doesn't really matter to me as I only use it for amateur use as far as TX goes but it is good to know anyways. Thanks.

Elfnetdesigns

UV5B or "B5" as I call it IMO is a much better radio, I like it because it has an actual channel knob or as hams say "A VFO knob". To me it says more about the radio when it has a volume/power knob and a channel knob.

danzan77

just picked up one of these radios uv-5r and was wondering the same thing, I left mine default to wide.band. in the software. I can't figure out why when i enter a freq into channel memory the offset doesn't show up. or both show up for some reason. I can only get it to work in vfo mode. I tried both the software and manual programming. I know you have to confirm several steps for each freq. ? am I missing something..

Elfnetdesigns

Offset only works in VFO mode.
You can't program an offset into a memory channel, you have to program recieve and transmit ftrequencies separately.
See Baofeng Pofung Programming Memories UV5R UV82 GT3

This is true with just about all of the Chinese breed radios with exception of those without displays.
I favor the Wouxun KG UV series and have a small fleet of them in non ham service in Nevada. To maintain legality with the FCC I had to set them all up so a user cannot get into the menu and change things and set them to narrow band. Yes I had the radio model verified by the FCC to ensure they were legal for Commercial duty and passed the narrow band requirements.

The BF UV-5r model radio we didn't like due to obvious cosmetic reasons, meaning it lacked a channel rotary knob on top. The ones we got for demo purposes I gave away to the local ham club and ordered the UV-B5's.

Status
Not open for further replies.