• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R not receiving after pressing any key - HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipster99

I just bought a new UV-5R and I've programmed up the FRS channels to start with... when I turn the Baofeng radio on and tune it to FRS Channel 1 (462.5625) and press the transmit button on my FRS radio, I can receive the transmission on the Baofeng without any issue. I can press the transmit button the Baofeng and receive the transmission on the FRS radio without any issue. But as soon as I press any key on the Baofeng (ie. I can press the Exit Key or the Monitor button to turn on the light (any key at all other than the PTT)), I can not long receive transmission from the FRS radio (and I've tried this with several FRS radios. After this happens, I can still transmit from the Baofeng to the FRS radios, but not the other way. The only way to fix this is to either re-key the frequency again (462.562) or turn the radio off & on again. The FRS radio has only channel settings, no other settings? If I just use the PTT button, it seems to work fine but that's not how this is suppose to operate and it's driving me crazy.

Am I missing something on this radio or do I have a dud? I programmed this up using the Chirp software and everything seemed okay until I tried pressing another button and it stopped receiving. I've even reset the entire radio (twice) and keyed the frequency in manually and have the same issue.

Any ideas or do I just send this back for a new radio?

Thanks in advance...

Jaxco

go to miklor and look up the factory restore procedure and follow it to the letter. That is what I had to do. Also, toggling between channel mode and frequency mode can cause that to happen as well. You fix that by turning it off, then back on.

Flipster99

I think I found the problem in another post... apparently just turning off the BEEP causes this problem - as weird as that sounds... I enabled the beep again and the problem no longer exists... I need to do a little further testing, but it seems like my issue has been resolved.

Jaxco

Baofeng minimum power is double legal FRS power - plus - Baofengs have removable antennas. I could list more but that is more than enough.

WB4CS

Hi W8RMH...

Why exactly are Baofeng radios not approved for use on FRS?

FRS requires a radio that's FCC Part 95 approved. Baofang radios are not Part 95 approved radios.

Specifically, legal FRS radios cannot have a removable antenna and cannot exceed 0.5w transmit power. The Baofang breaks both of these rules as well.

For your reference, here's the complete FCC Part 95 rules, which include the FRS, GMRS, MURS, and CB radio services. eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's a bug in some Baofeng firmware versions that disables receive if you turn off key beep.

Status
Not open for further replies.