• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R Not Reciving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraany

HI there, i have a UV-5R vhf radio and i cant seem to get it to receive other radios comms, i can transmit fine and the radio will also receive when pressing the 'MONI' Key, has anyone got a fix to get it to receive normally?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Enable key beep in the menu. Some firmware has a bug that disables reception when key beep is turned off.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Or, you might have a CTCSS tone or DCS code set for receive. If that's the case, the squelch won't break until it hears the correct tone or DCS code on the signal. Make sure those are turned off.

boy7777777777

I’ve had the same exact problem. I had to turn the key beep back on and it started working. I had even tried fully resetting the radio and that didn’t work either.

Last edited:

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The UV-5R is not much as receivers go. I would start with the basics-try broadcast FM on one of your local FM stations. Then I would program in the 'local' national Weather service broadcast (in the 162.4 -162.6 range). Having a strong (and always transmitting) signal will allow you to check settings, antenna ect much more effectively than trying to 'catch' a transmission. If you are trying to communicate with another radio get some distance to avoid desensing the receiver. Verify narrow/wide FM mode. And disable tone squelch- most of the units had a 'bug' that prevented proper decode. They will send a tone ok (for repeater use) but will not 'open' when they receive a tone.

If you have tried all of the above, provide more detail (using stock antenna frequency ect) and we may be able to help further.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Enable key beep in the menu. Some firmware has a bug that disables reception when key beep is turned off.

Correct. Both of mine do this.
pixel

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
First, I am not anti-CCR. I have a couple that I've had for several years. Fortunately, I've never had trouble but I don't use them much. Of course, I didn't pay much for them but I went into it assuming they probably would not work like the "Big 3," as people like to call them.

What I normally use is either my Yaesu VX-1 or VX-6. They both worked perfectly right out of the box.

What I'm saying is, you pretty much get what you pay for and if you pay $25 for a radio and expect it to perform like a $150 radio, you need to re-think your expectations. I've said it before on this forum: CCRs are like Bic lighters. If they quit working, you throw them away because you can't fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.