• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R: Problems After Uploading With Chirp, Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. This is my first post and usually I introduce myself first but I didnt see a place to do so. I just passed my Technicians license exam and gave had my Baofeng UV-5R for a couple years, monitoring only! So Ive had the same programming in my radios for a while because my old laptop was messed up(super long story, ). So I just got a new laptop with windos 10. I installed chirp, the usb cable driver and all of that works fine. I doenloaded the program,ing from my radio into Chirp, edited a couple things(NOT the frequency in question) and uploaded the revised version into my uv5r. Now Im unable to get my local repeater in channel memory mode. I think ive never been able to and have only been able to hear my local repeater in frequency mode. Also Im unable to manually edit any of the programmed channels in MR mode. The offset for my local repeater is supposed to be NEG(-) .600 with a tone of 188.8. I have my repeater programmed in both frequency and channel modes, the channel mode has the settings saved as an offset of -00.000 and it wont let me change it.

So I have no idea what to do here. Chirp has it saved correctly as far as offset but the PP tone ,ight need to be set at 18.8 for receiving instead of transmitting or vice versa but theres no option in Chirp to select which one. It only has a block for tone and what number for the tone. I just installed the latest version of Chirp that came ot yesterday(October 10, 2016) and tried again and got the same result. What am I doing wrong here? Is it because the program list in my radio was made using windows 7 or 8 and I saved it on a laptop running windows 10? Again, the software and driver is good. Im able to upload to my radio with no problems. I really want to get this squared away before my license shows up in the FCC database so I can finally transit! Thank you in advance for your help and Im sorry if this makes no sense.

k6cpo

I programmed my UV-5R with CHIRP and an existing Wouxun cable I had. One thing I found in all my fussing with it, was that to get anything to write into a memory channel, I had to delete anything that was in that particular channel. The software wouldn't overwrite existing information.

I got the radio as a raffle prize and once I programmed it, I used it twice and then effectively retired it. The final straw was reading an article in QST about how bad the Baofengs are for spectral purity.

http://wp.ni4ce.org/wp-content/uploads/qst.pdf

Ill try resetting it on Chirp and try programming it manually again. Thanks for the info. As for the Baofeng not being a good radio, I never said it was great. Its definitely all I could afford or justify paying for my first radio. I didnt know if this would be for me so why buy a $500 radio? I would never write something off just because someone had complaints about it. I think for every 1 person Ive heard say negative things about it, Ive heard at least 5 or 6 people say nothing but great things. I have had very limited experiences with mine but the few things I have used it for, its worked perfectly fine. It reaches my local repeater and when its programmed correctly, gives me no issues and has a good range. Of course I have no point of reference with this being my first ham radio but Ive had enough hobbies and bought enough toys to know when one is flat out junk. I do not see the UV-5R as junk. Of course my next radio could totally change my opinion lol. Thanks again for that tip. Nobody has mentioned that before.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I have two UV-5Rv2+ radios and have checked both of them on my Rigol Spectrum Analyzer. Both pass with flying colors.

Well I dont have any serious hardware like spectrum analyzers. Just this half fried brain and 2 decently functioning ears and my Baofengs passed their tests. Thats really good to know though. I completely understand that theres better gear out there. Im just pretty new to this. I love it and it totally aligns with my kove for tinkering and working on my music equipment like guitar fx pedals, amps, old keyboards etc. Point is I will be a ham for the rest of my life. I was going to get a really good used mobile rig for passing my Tech but all the money Ive saved I now have to spend on fixing my car and buying a new socket for my prosthetic leg since both have crapped out on me in the past couple months. BUT one of these days Ill find something better that I can afford and all the stars will align haha. For now I might just have to get a mobile antenna and use it for my UV-5R.

Status
Not open for further replies.