• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R+ Repeater problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoguy2

The UV-5Rs will make an ok low power CROSS BAND repeater (VHF to UHF, etc) but will not work when repeating within the same band unless you have an actual duplexer or two antennas with lots of separation and band pass cavities. Even a pair of Motorola XTS5000s will not work as a GMRS repeater using two antennas that are very close to each other.
prcguy
Actually, I (respectfully) disagree.

I have done this before for much the same reasons as the op (camping). No, it is not was good as dedicated repeater, or even some GM300s tied together, but it works.

I used the baofeng for transmit, and a wouxun for receive. (Tighter front end). I positioned the radios with about two feet of vertical separation (right on top of each other), and used a high gain antenna on both. The key (IMO) is the 5mhz offset in the 400 band. Obviously this would not work at all in 140.

And, it lasted a week, no blown finals. The reason being, it was a low duty cycle. 15-20 seconds of talk, and then 2 two hours of standby. Obviously if you used this for public safety or ham rag chewing, it would not last an minute.

My $0.02

Matt

iepoker

And we used it exactly like that. Many moons of stand by compared to TX time. I also concur that it would not be good for a deadicated repeater, PD/FD or Ham. It is, as I intended it to be, a DAMN FINE low wattage extender to your GMRS or, yes Part 95 snivlers, 440 Ham. I am not a fan of 2m/VHF, so I wont go there.

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just so you're aware, what you're trying to do isn't legal with the UV-5R. It's not FCC Part 95 approved equipment for GMRS use.

Yeah no one haw nor will they ever care. Its perfectly fine and most of them are used that way. You dont properly read the GMRS rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

WB4CS

Yeah no one haw nor will they ever care. Its perfectly fine and most of them are used that way. You dont properly read the GMRS rules.

Well I would argue with her, but since she's now "Banned for the Greater Good" I'll just say :lol:

For those that read this thread in the future, please know that I have read the GMRS rules properly and have provided the correct information.

Status
Not open for further replies.