• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R V2+ not receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve8001

Found a similar thread but it wasn't my problem exactly. I have a UV5R that I successfully programmed with Chirp. My brother in law asked me to program his (UV-5R V2+ and being new to this I uploaded my image to his radio to save time. Now it won't receive without the monitor key depressed. Of course Function 40 doesn't help and function 8 is on. When I performed the upload it ended with the message that other settings couldn't be transferred due to difference in firmware. Per Chirp the firmware on my radio is N5R-20, BFB 297. His reads BFS-313, BFS-297. I downloaded the factory image of BFS-313 but when I try to upload chirp cancels and says firmware not compatible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kb0esl

Feed Provider
uv5f not receiving

I just did the exact same thing. I have been trying to get it back for 2 hours. Did you ever find a solution?

jk77

Are you sure that you don't have receive CTCSS set? Because if it is on, the radio won't break squelch unless it receives a particular tone.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I performed the upload it ended with the message that other settings couldn't be transferred due to difference in firmware.

First of all, don't ever upload anything to a radio without having downloaded a known-good image from that radio, or one of the same model and firmware version. Uploading from one firmware version to another can brick the radio. The upload process updates the entire radio memory, not just the areas with documented settings and functions. And if you cross models, the probability of disaster is even higher.

The newer version of CHIRP has some logic built in to help prevent image cross-pollenation across models and firmware versions. If you have a known good image for the bricked radio's model and firmware, and CHIRP won't let you upload it, you may need to use an older version of CHIRP to get it to work.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Found a similar thread but it wasn't my problem exactly. I have a UV5R that I successfully programmed with Chirp. My brother in law asked me to program his (UV-5R V2+ and being new to this I uploaded my image to his radio to save time. Now it won't receive without the monitor key depressed. Of course Function 40 doesn't help and function 8 is on. When I performed the upload it ended with the message that other settings couldn't be transferred due to difference in firmware. Per Chirp the firmware on my radio is N5R-20, BFB 297. His reads BFS-313, BFS-297. I downloaded the factory image of BFS-313 but when I try to upload chirp cancels and says firmware not compatible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cross loading CHIRP .img files between radios with N5R-20 firmware and radios that don't have N5R-20 firmware is a NO NO. The latest CHIRP daily build prevents you from being able to do this. I assume that you were using an older daily build (or even the v0.4.0 stable).

The recovery procedure is on the miklor.com website. It requires you to downgrade to an older version of CHIRP that doesn't have this protection so you can upload the "factory" .img file. Then once the radio has been recovered, upgrade back to the latest daily build.

N5R-20 Recovery

Jim KC9HI

Last edited:

steve8001

Actually the fix was pretty easy. I was trying to upload the.img file with the new version of Chirp. I tried the older version that I originally used and the file uploaded fine.

Thanks everyone.

falcione

UV-5R V2+ Not receiving

Hi - My radio is doing the same thing from the same situation with CHIRP. How do I figure out is the firmware version on my radio?
Thanks,
Ray

jk77

So I'm assuming that you have uploaded an image to the radio with the incorrect firmware version. I think (but I don't know) that if you do that, the incorrect firmware version will come up when you turn on the radio holding down the "6" key because I think you can set that in Chirp which is now unreliable since you uploaded an incorrect image file.

I would make my best guess as to the firmware version and keep trying until I found a version that worked. Then update your Chirp so that it cannot happen again.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hi - My radio is doing the same thing from the same situation with CHIRP. How do I figure out is the firmware version on my radio?
Thanks,
Ray
Download from your radio using CHIRP. Then look on the Settings -> Other Settings page.

If "Firmware Message 1" is not "VER", then it is your firmware version.

If "Firmware Message 1" is "VER" then "Firmware Message 2" is your firmware version.

Jim KC9HI

SCPD

QRT
By chance did you check the pl dcs etc? Fpr some reason chirp will change all these I once cloned over like you did to save time and it had set the ctcss to one of the others and changed things. It always does this sometimes even just adding a line with a freq and input. It's weird.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
The memory layout of Baofeng radios with N5R-20 firmware was changed. You must not upload a .img file from a prior firmware version to a radio with N5R-20 or newer firmware. You must not upload a .img file from a radio with N5R-20 or newer firmware into a radio with a firmware version prior to N5R-20. If you do, the radio will not receive without pressing the [MONI] button.

Because of this, CHIRP was updated to prevent cross-loading these .imt files. Unfortunately, too many CHIRP users are not updating to the latest daily build so they are not protected from this and they are not finding out about this until it is too late.

If you have already made this mistake, the recovery procedure is on the miklor.com website.

N5R-20 Cross-load Recovery Procedure

Jim KC9HI

flashmang1

I am having a similar issue but I with revision BFS311/BFS297. If anyone has an default img file for that revision I would much appreciate it. BFS 313/BFS 297 will not work on the BFS311 revision.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I am having a similar issue but I with revision BFS311/BFS297. If anyone has an default img file for that revision I would much appreciate it. BFS 313/BFS 297 will not work on the BFS311 revision.

Read the post just above yours. The N5R-20 Recovery page has a link to my collection.

Jim KC9HI

flashmang1

Thanks. I reloaded the BFS311 file and still no help. A little more troubleshooting and the wonder of youtube I found the answer. My radio would transmit but no audio would pass. I found the following video and now the radio works as advertised. I just had to add some solder across two points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BrGo1-uW3k

By the way I have quite a few UV-5R's and there are 3 different revisions on them. I got the N5R-20 working by reloading the img file.

summerprophet

Hi all,
Like everyone who has come before me, I am also having problems with a new pair of UV5R's not receiving unless MON is pushed.

I have a pair of 2 year old radios that work wonderfully, and a brand new pair (xmas gift for my brothers), that do not seem to receive. They seem to transmit, as my old pair light up when transmitting

Did everything that everyone has done before me.... full factory reset..... Chirp updates..... exact cloning of working radios.

I went through all the settings and according to CHIRP, these are the only differences:

Setting Working Radio New Radio
Firmware BFS311 N5R-213
BFB297 BFB297
+6 Messsage 130711N 140906N
VHF LowerLim 136 130
VHF UpperLim 174 176

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
Like everyone who has come before me, I am also having problems with a new pair of UV5R's not receiving unless MON is pushed.

I have a pair of 2 year old radios that work wonderfully, and a brand new pair (xmas gift for my brothers), that do not seem to receive. They seem to transmit, as my old pair light up when transmitting

Did everything that everyone has done before me.... full factory reset..... Chirp updates..... exact cloning of working radios.

I went through all the settings and according to CHIRP, these are the only differences:

Setting Working Radio New Radio
Firmware BFS311 N5R-213
BFB297 BFB297
+6 Messsage 130711N 140906N
VHF LowerLim 136 130
VHF UpperLim 174 176

You must not load CHIRP .img files that were saved from radios with BFB/BFS firmware into radios with N5R firmware. You must not load CHIRP .img files that were saved from N5R radios into radios with BFB/BFS firmware. Doing so will cause the receive audio to be muted as if it were tone squelched.

If you are running the latest CHIRP daily build, you should not be able to make this mistake.

If you have done this, and it sounds like you did, you will have to upload the original .img file that was saved from your radio when it first hooked up to your computer and read by CHIRP. If you did not save an original file from this radios, then you will have to get a copy of a "factory" N5R-213 .img to restore it.

The instructions for performing this "recovery" (including the needed "factory" .img) is already posted earlier in this thread.

Jim KC9HI

roamingrican

Premium Subscriber
Menu 8 Beep set to off

in the 20 and 30 firmwares theres a bug that when you turn beep off the radio won't unmute. turn menu 8 to on and you should be gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.