• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerxes7

Cable

The program cable which came with the old Quansheng TG-25AT works with the Baofeng UV-5R. In fact, I think a lot of the 3.5/2.5 cables are the same - I'm surmising.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I just purchased 2 UV-5R's from Lentini Communications in Berlin, CT I already have a couple of TYT's also. for the most part, I use the radios as additional scanners I do use at low power once in a blue moon on FRS, but like I said that is very rare. I am pretty pleased with both the TYT's as well as the Beofengs and face it for the price, you can't be beat. I actually told a few friends in media about them as well as a few friends who work both EMS as well as security. I did notice the difference in the antenna connector, what type of connector is this on the Beofeng as I want to purchase something better as I usually put something other than stock on the radio as I think stock antennas are set to pull the bare minimal signal wise. Oh and a message to the poster who was also using the radio as a scanner, make sure you have the correct PL or DPL(DCS) programmed in, otherwise you can be dead on the freq. but not hear a thing.

Joe

Last edited:

Phreakin318

I just purchased 2 UV-5R's from Lentini Communications in Berlin, CT I already have a couple of TYT's also. for the most part, I use the radios as additional scanners I do use at low power once in a blue moon on FRS, but like I said that is very rare. I am pretty pleased with both the TYT's as well as the Beofengs and face it for the price, you can't be beat. I actually told a few friends in media about them as well as a few friends who work both EMS as well as security. I did notice the difference in the antenna connector, what type of connector is this on the Beofeng as I want to purchase something better as I usually put something other than stock on the radio as I think stock antennas are set to pull the bare minimal signal wise. Oh and a message to the poster who was also using the radio as a scanner, make sure you have the correct PL or DPL(DCS) programmed in, otherwise you can be dead on the freq. but not hear a thing.

Joe

they do have better antennas for the baofengs search ebay for baofeng or actually i think they have some on amazon.com or google baofeng antenna connectors and that will give you the info you need to know. i believe this is w hat your looking for Silver SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter for BaoFeng UV-3R UV-100 UV-200 radio | eBay

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just can't wrap my head around buying one of those toys, lol! My boss even has one of the bfang things, but cheap or not it's gotta be milspec before I buy one.

n9zas

Phreakin318

I just can't wrap my head around buying one of those toys, lol! My boss even has one of the bfang things, but cheap or not it's gotta be milspec before I buy one.

n9zas

get one you will love it, there duel band to. nicheone on ebay has them for $50 shipped sometimes cheaper, on hi power they reach rougly a mile with the provided antenna that it comes with. better than the cobra ones at walmart that claim 15miles bs

gewecke

Banned
I wouldn't like one, no matter the price because having used mostly commercial quality milspec radios, and ham gear as well these chinese toys just won't have the same quality.
I tried my boss's baofang and it was way too small and I could see losing it in the sofa cushions,lol!

n9zas

Phreakin318

I wouldn't like one, no matter the price because having used mostly commercial quality milspec radios, and ham gear as well these chinese toys just won't have the same quality.
I tried my boss's baofang and it was way too small and I could see losing it in the sofa cushions,lol!

n9zas

well thats true i guess, i havent ever used anything else but this ,so i wouldnt know any different but if the better stuff is more fun i'm definitly saveing up:p

mancow

Database Admin
They are great for the price. If you want a beater to kick around you can't complain. I use mine more than the regular radios.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
oh I agree the radio is cheap and you get what you pay for. in this case though I think it was a good choice. That said, I've had a ton of motos and loved them gewecke, you're definitely right about the mil spec thing. owned my own duty radio when I was active ems and while I don't recommend this, actually dropped that thing a million times as well as drove a nail (before I took care of my stuff) with one. The thing was great, In fact just sold a Saber awhile back. Now that is a radio and you aren't losing one of those - wait, I take that back, know someone who did-lol

gewecke

Banned
oh I agree the radio is cheap and you get what you pay for. in this case though I think it was a good choice. That said, I've had a ton of motos and loved them gewecke, you're definitely right about the mil spec thing. owned my own duty radio when I was active ems and while I don't recommend this, actually dropped that thing a million times as well as drove a nail (before I took care of my stuff) with one. The thing was great, In fact just sold a Saber awhile back. Now that is a radio and you aren't losing one of those - wait, I take that back, know someone who did-lol

Yeah I seem to remember a manual that describes defense tecniques with a saber, lol! I saw a ff almost lose his trousers wearing one too! :(

n9zas

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a pair and i'm pleased with the price for what I got. Solid and programable with CHIRP if manually is causing you grief. I have decided the name should be BaoFUN for the price. Toss a better antenna on there and I think people might be surprised. If you drop it in the water, buy another.

For the price, they are definitely not Mil-spec. I'm not sure how they could be confused for such. From reading through the thread, it appears that everyone who actually purchased one is pleased. Of course I'm using it for recreation and not professionally.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I picked up the UV-3R the small micro version duel band ,...it gets lost in my pocket
I am actually shocked at the quality of these radios for the price ,..I use mine every day at work
I just wish these companies would come up with some digital scanner clones now,...
I programmed mine by hand with no issues & the small version I have doesn't even have a keypad ....

Tracker

I purchased a pair and i'm pleased with the price for what I got. Solid and programable with CHIRP if manually is causing you grief. I have decided the name should be BaoFUN for the price. Toss a better antenna on there and I think people might be surprised. If you drop it in the water, buy another.

For the price, they are definitely not Mil-spec. I'm not sure how they could be confused for such. From reading through the thread, it appears that everyone who actually purchased one is pleased. Of course I'm using it for recreation and not professionally.

Do you ever use these as FRS?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Do you ever use these as FRS?
I have some bubble pack radios for FRS. Have fun with the kids and no worries with bubble packs. The UV-5R will only go down to 1W anyways. MURS will get the job done if you're not licensed. Just keep it on low power and you're fine. (I'm presuming you're in the U.S. like myself.) MURS will get you away from the kids and push a little more juice.

Regarding the COM port. My machine assigned 6 for the USB cable.

Tracker

I have some bubble pack radios for FRS. Have fun with the kids and no worries with bubble packs. The UV-5R will only go down to 1W anyways. MURS will get the job done if you're not licensed. Just keep it on low power and you're fine. (I'm presuming you're in the U.S. like myself.) MURS will get you away from the kids and push a little more juice.

Regarding the COM port. My machine assigned 6 for the USB cable.

What is MURS?

Status
Not open for further replies.