• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjz55

Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this or not but. Does anyone know if the Baofeng UV-5R is in the FCC 2013 narrowband compliance? I know it's cheap. I was looking into the Wouxun KG-UV6D and it was mentioned that it is in compliance but there is a big difference in price. I appreciate any comments/suggestions.

AE5NW

Feed Provider
Yes, the UV-5R is compliant and has the capability for narrowbanding.

However, if you're using the radio for amateur use only, the point is moot as amateur radio operators are not affected by the narrowbanding requirement:

Radio Amateurs Not Affected by Narrowbanding Requirements

I've had mine for about a week now and, so far, it's been a great radio for the price.

73, AE5NW

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
baofeng radio

while you guys are on the subject of this radio.I would like to know how long did it take you to get your radio? and did/have you order any accessorys seperate for it yet? and if so how long did that take to receive it ?

K9WG

I got mine from Amazon.com and it took about 6 days. So far pretty impressive for a $60 radio. It does have some interesting firmware bugs though....

AE5NW

Feed Provider
I got mine from Amazon.com and it took about 6 days. So far pretty impressive for a $60 radio. It does have some interesting firmware bugs though....

Same here.

The first one took about a week. The second one, slightly less.

PT

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
ok thanks guys for your replies,I was total unaware that Amazon sold these radios.Now after looking on Amazon,one more question,will the battery for the baofeng uv-3r fit the uv 5r ?

AE5NW

Feed Provider
ok thanks guys for your replies,I was total unaware that Amazon sold these radios.Now after looking on Amazon,one more question,will the battery for the baofeng uv-3r fit the uv 5r ?

Nope. It won't.

Baofeng UV-5R (Import Communications)

Or...

409ShopUV-5R www.409shop.com (seems to be down at the moment though, so check again later.)

You might find those sites useful.

Now, the radio isn't perfect, but for the price point, it's darned hard to beat and enters the realm of "disposable" devices.

I used one for the entire trip to, walking around at, and returning from, Dayton Hamvention this year. Didn't have a single problem one with it.

73, AE5NW

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
thanks,the 409shop is were I ordered it from and STILL for it,hopefully it is in and my friend brings it to work tomorrow(now later on today).

taboudarajr

Narrowbanding

I've been working with CHIRP and through the on radio menu and I can't get my radio to stay in "NARR" mode.

I have a multitude of PS channels programmed into my radio, and since they are all narrow banded, I suspect my radio should be as well.

Any thoughts?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Look at the MODE column (third from right in channel list). "FM" is normal FM, "NFM" is narrow band FM.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I've been working with CHIRP and through the on radio menu and I can't get my radio to stay in "NARR" mode.

I have a multitude of PS channels programmed into my radio, and since they are all narrow banded, I suspect my radio should be as well.

Any thoughts?

In MR/Channel mode, menu 5 is "read only". In other words, it can only be used to see how WN is set, not for changing it.

The only way to change this setting at the radio is to erase the channel and then reprogram it from VFO/Frequency with WN set to the desired value. Most of the per-channel settings are this way.

Reference for UV-5R Menus

The only other way to make the change is by using programming software. With CHIRP, the Mode column sets the bandwidth. FM=WIDE and NFM=NARRow. Once you choose FM or NFM from the drop-down menu in CHIRP, the choice will show in the field, but it isn't selected yet. You must press [Enter] or click onto another field for it to be permanently selected.

A quick way to check to make sure that your selection "stuck" is to press the [Go] button. If you made the selection properly, it will still be selected. It will revert back to the original value if it wasn't. Saving the channels and settings to a file or uploading them to a radio will also cause them to revert back if they weren't fully selected (and the original values are what will be in the file or radio).

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.