• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng uv-5r

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Which brings the question as to why ICOM etc... puts the "can't be offered for sale" notice on all of their new radios, when they clearly aren't set up for out of band operations from the box...

It has nothing to do with the transmitter part of the radio.
It has everything to do with the "scanning receiver" part of the radio.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
KY4OA- Yes, it's a "WALKIE TALKIE" and you are right, they need to SERIOUSLY, grow up! Too much technical stuff on this site and who really cares!!
There are "choices" in this world and I'm "NEVER" going to be told what to do or not to do when it comes to making a purchase.
I'm SICK of this DEBATE 24/7 already.
That's right! The ENTITLED one isn't going to be told there are rules and told NO. You tell em Kenneth. What's the frequency? Oh it doesn't matter, it's just a walkie-talkie. Who cares if it jams my "son the cops" radio. I'm sick of being told there are rules and NO.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
It has nothing to do with the transmitter part of the radio.
It has everything to do with the "scanning receiver" part of the radio.
yeah.... when I looked over everything again shortly after posting, I realized I had answered my own question.

:(

Thanks
Joel

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I will say no. I have had four and of the four, three of them died and no recovery of them within a year, and sold the other one. I bought an Anytone 878 two years ago and it is running strong still. I think the transmit audio is just as good, if not better, on analog repeaters, than Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood radios. Plus, you get DMR capabilities. I can't say enough good about the radios. I just bought a new Diamond antenna for it at our hamfest back in March.

TomLine

I will say no. I have had four and of the four, three of them died and no recovery of them within a year, and sold the other one. I bought an Anytone 878 two years ago and it is running strong still. I think the transmit audio is just as good, if not better, on analog repeaters, than Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood radios. Plus, you get DMR capabilities. I can't say enough good about the radios. I just bought a new Diamond antenna for it at our hamfest back in March.
Does the DMR open a big learning curve compared to the UV-5R or just add a couple nice options? I think I'd like to try the 878 based on your recommendation. Do you program with chirp or something else? Could the 878 talk or listen on 220 or other bands for an emergency only situation? (No flogging please.)