• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5RV2+ with Nayoga NA-771 problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycexps

Hi all,

I bought this as an entry level transceiver. I was quite happy with the original "rubber ducky" antenna, but wanted to maximize it's potential, so I bought a 771.

I noticed that the performance is worse with the Nagoya. For example, with the rubber ducky, I will scan 144-160 area and pick up some channels and it will lock on to lots of frequencies with just static as well. With the Nagoya, it will scan right through this range and will stop at maybe 2 or 3 of these frequencies. Presumably the strongest ones.

Is this an indication of performance?

Also, when listening to some local repeaters, while switching the 2 antennas, it seems that the rubber ducky is slightly better, picking up an extra bar of reception, with less pickyness which direction the radio is held. Nagoya performed OK, but seems more directional, and will cut out when moving the radio around.

I returned the NA-771, thinking that I got a bad one, and ordered another, giving the same results. These are genuine Nagoya's sold by Baofeng dist. on Amazon with the silver labeling, green packaging, and functioning QR code.

Could it be the radio? Most of the reviews I have seen are with the original UV-5R, and people describe quite a benefit from the Nagoya.

Thank you.

brycexps

I may have discovered the problem, being that these cheap radios are easily overloaded with out of band and in band signals. An improved antenna is amplifying this effect. This is just a theory and I am new to this.

nd5y

I may have discovered the problem, being that these cheap radios are easily overloaded with out of band and in band signals. An improved antenna is amplifying this effect. This is just a theory and I am new to this.

Your theory is probably correct. I'm not new to this. I have been using hand held radios and and experimenting with antennas since about the late 1970s and have never observed the receiver problems that the UV-5R and UV-82 have on any other VHF or UHF radio. How bad the desense and noise problems are may vary depending on your location and how far you are from FM, TV and other high power transmitters.

Last edited:

Delta33

Again, GET a refund or Sell it. thats your best bet.

brycexps

Thanks,

I'll test this tomorrow. I plan on walking into some woods and fields, away from any RF sources and running some tests through the 4 antennas.

Will report back the results.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In most situations, the 771 is way better than the stock antenna (I have 10+ radios wearing them). But if you have a strong RF source nearby, a better antenna just overloads the receiver more.

Try running the radios in a different location, like in a different county, and see if the difference is the same.

brycexps

In most situations, the 771 is way better than the stock antenna (I have 10+ radios wearing them). But if you have a strong RF source nearby, a better antenna just overloads the receiver more.

Try running the radios in a different location, like in a different county, and see if the difference is the same.

I dont live in a busy area. 3 miles away from a 30,000 pop. town, surrounded by forest. No large cities within 100mi. No buildings near my house, but there are telephone/power lines 100 yards away.

I went for a hike earlier in the woods, about a half mile from the nearest house, and tested the antennas. There was an improvement with the aftermarket antennas, but they are very directional. Full signal in one spot, move 3 inches and nothing. The Baofeng antenna provided moderate signal in all directions.

Same symptoms with both Baofeng radios, so this must be environmental.

When I get a chance, Ill take a drive into the state forest and test things further.

Do you experience improvements in every regard with the 771? Do you find situations where the original antenna works better?

Thanks

I'm also looking into a Yaesu VX-8DR handheld as a primary radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.